I am unable to wake my MacBook Pro from Sleep Mode

I'm experiencing an issue with my 14-inch MacBook with an M2 chip. Occasionally, when it goes into sleep mode, I'm unable to wake it up by pressing any buttons. Instead, it automatically restarts without displaying the Apple logo. Can anyone provide insights or solutions for this problem?

Furthermore, I've noticed that when this issue occurs, if I lower the brightness to its lowest setting, and then attempt to increase the brightness again, it remains stuck at the dark level and doesn't allow me to brighten the screen.

To clarify, I want to emphasize that this issue does not occur frequently. However, when it does happen, the problem unfolds as previously described. Fortunately, I have found that restarting my MacBook resolves the issue.

Additionally, I'd like to highlight that the issue doesn't resolve itself when the MacBook automatically restarts without displaying the Apple logo. Instead, I have to manually initiate a restart in order to resolve the problem.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2023 3:19 PM

bogdankirillov wrote:

I'm experiencing an issue with my 14-inch MacBook with an M2 chip. Occasionally, when it goes into sleep mode, I'm unable to wake it up by pressing any buttons. Instead, it automatically restarts without displaying the Apple logo. Can anyone provide insights or solutions for this problem?
Furthermore, I've noticed that when this issue occurs, if I lower the brightness to its lowest setting, and then attempt to increase the brightness again, it remains stuck at the dark level and doesn't allow me to brighten the screen.
To clarify, I want to emphasize that this issue does not occur frequently. However, when it does happen, the problem unfolds as previously described. Fortunately, I have found that restarting my MacBook resolves the issue.
Additionally, I'd like to highlight that the issue doesn't resolve itself when the MacBook automatically restarts without displaying the Apple logo. Instead, I have to manually initiate a restart in order to resolve the problem.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

First order of business—Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

all known to cause issues on the macOS

second if any third-party sync software like: OneDrive, GoogleDrive, BackBlaze or DropBox try disabling and test

disconnect all third party peripherals that are not mission critical.

if no change—I would try reinstalling the macOS on top of the existing macOS to sort issue...

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

no resolve or insight

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

I will add—

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.4.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2023 3:19 PM in response to bogdankirillov

bogdankirillov wrote:

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

First order of business—Uninstall any and all third party Antivirus, Cleaners, Optimizers, VPN, speeder uppers....

all known to cause issues on the macOS

second if any third-party sync software like: OneDrive, GoogleDrive, BackBlaze or DropBox try disabling and test

disconnect all third party peripherals that are not mission critical.

if no change—I would try reinstalling the macOS on top of the existing macOS to sort issue...

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

no resolve or insight

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

I will add—

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.4.1

Jul 1, 2023 4:19 PM in response to bogdankirillov

if your MacBook Pro is low on battery, it will automatically hibernate, which is equivalent to what computer-heads call a checkpoint. everything is saved to disk and it shuts down what it can to save power.

When re-activated, that appear very similar to a cold start, but does not take quite as long as a cold start, because the checkpoint information is merely re-loaded and you pick up from Exactly where you were.

Many users treat their MacBook Pro like an iPhone, only charging when nearly dead. Some are fearful that (like exceptionally cheap battery-powered devices) it could be damaged if connected to power. Nothing could be further form the truth.

Your MacBook Pro  uses ‘smart charging’ to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge. 

I am unable to wake my MacBook Pro from Sleep Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.