Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro 16" will not wake from sleep without touching power button

I have a new MBP i purchased at the end of May. After a few weeks, the computer would not wake from sleep when I opened the lid. I would have to press the power button. It appeared that the computer would keep doing a hard shut down when in sleep mode. I talked with Apple Support and we Reinstalled OSX. This helped the shut down issue, but it still would not wake from sleep without pressing the power button. So, I was directed to take it into an Apple Store. The tech wiped the computer and sent me home. Low and behold, same issue. Finally Apple had me send it out for repairs. I just got it back and it says they replaced the logic board and touch ID bar. First couple hours it was fine. But I just went to use it and IT HAPPENED AGAIN. Would not wake from sleep. Even pressing the power button/touch ID did nothing. I finally had to just hold the button in for about 10 seconds to get the computer to wake.

I have no idea whats going on but I feel like I got a lemon. I want to make sure that it wasn't a fluke and maybe got caught in the middle of an update or something before I contact Apple Support again.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 6:54 AM

bgsnydermd wrote:

I have a new MBP i purchased at the end of May. After a few weeks, the computer would not wake from sleep when I opened the lid. I would have to press the power button. It appeared that the computer would keep doing a hard shut down when in sleep mode. I talked with Apple Support and we Reinstalled OSX. This helped the shut down issue, but it still would not wake from sleep without pressing the power button. So, I was directed to take it into an Apple Store. The tech wiped the computer and sent me home. Low and behold, same issue. Finally Apple had me send it out for repairs. I just got it back and it says they replaced the logic board and touch ID bar. First couple hours it was fine. But I just went to use it and IT HAPPENED AGAIN. Would not wake from sleep. Even pressing the power button/touch ID did nothing. I finally had to just hold the button in for about 10 seconds to get the computer to wake.

I have no idea whats going on but I feel like I got a lemon. I want to make sure that it wasn't a fluke and maybe got caught in the middle of an update or something before I contact Apple Support again.

Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2020 6:54 AM in response to bgsnydermd

bgsnydermd wrote:

Try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

New Macbook Pro 16" will not wake from sleep without touching power button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.