Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use a unique photo for Admin in Mac System Preferences?

How to use a unique photo for Admin in System Preferences?

When I edited the photo, using a unique image, intending to have it different from my Apple ID photo, suddenly that unique image appeared everywhere replacing my Apple ID image.

There are many places that can use an image (contacts, messages, Apple ID etc).I want to know how to set a photo for a designated purpose and not have it appear everywhere.

I welcome suggestions.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 4:20 PM

Hello,

A few apps have the ability for custom pictures. If you are using an administrator user profile as your main user profile it might be a better idea to leave the administrator profile (for when needed) and create a second with only standard privileges to use as your day to day profile.

Change the picture for you or others in apps on Mac - Apple Support

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-a-users-login-picture-mtusr002/12.0/mac/12.0

I hope this helps.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2022 4:20 PM in response to Live-n-Learn

Hello,

A few apps have the ability for custom pictures. If you are using an administrator user profile as your main user profile it might be a better idea to leave the administrator profile (for when needed) and create a second with only standard privileges to use as your day to day profile.

Change the picture for you or others in apps on Mac - Apple Support

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-a-users-login-picture-mtusr002/12.0/mac/12.0

I hope this helps.

Jan 11, 2022 6:02 PM in response to Live-n-Learn

You are welcome.

I could have used better language than "profile." Sorry about that. This article explains what I meant in much better detail.

Set up your Mac to be secure - Apple Support

"Administrators can create, manage, and delete other users; install and remove software; and change settings. For these reasons, an administrator should create a standard user account to use when administrator privileges are not needed. If the security of a standard user is compromised, the potential harm is far more limited than if the user has administrator privileges. If multiple people use your Mac, limit the number of users with administrator privileges. See Set up users, guests, and groups."

The part about your 'Apple ID' picture makes sense. I think a helpful distinction will be that the 'Apple ID' picture is only visible to you and other Family Sharing members, if you use that. The other app pictures are for you to set public images that people you communicate with will see. Finally, the login user picture is for you to know you aren't entering your Mac login password into a fake login screen and to easily see what user is logged in.

Change your Apple ID photo on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Hopefully I did not make that more confusing.

Jan 11, 2022 4:33 PM in response to Scott-he-him

Thanks for the links, a couple I'd not seen before. I plan to study all three carefully...soon.

I'm unclear about the distinction between "main user profile" and "administrator user profile", maybe you can clarify.

I think I understand "Apple ID" picture -- it appears many places by default. What I need to learn is where/how there are options for other intentionally selected images. Does that make sense?

I appreciate your help.

Jan 11, 2022 6:16 PM in response to Scott-he-him

Thanks again. I'll be checking all the links (have emailed the pages to myself so I can study on my iPadPro later.) I appreciate your clarification about 'Apple ID', other app pictures and the login user picture. Still a lot to learn.

FYI, I'm in the process of moving into a new 27" iMac (from a 2014 iMac) and this time I am setting ALL Preferences with intention. It's a massive undertaking, but seems worth the effort. For nearly 20 years I'd simply used my iMac with whatever the defaults were.

Your answers have been very helpful.

How to use a unique photo for Admin in Mac System Preferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.