Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts deleted

A few of my contacts were deleted from my iPhone. Why did it happen and how do I fix it?

I haven’t changed any settings or done any system updates recently.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 4:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 11:55 AM

So did you log into www.icloud.com on a computer browser to see if the contacts were still there? If they are still there, then on the iPhone, go to Settings><your name>iCloud, and turn off Contacts. When it asks about keeping them on the iPhone, say no. Then power cycle the iPhone, go back to the same place and turn Contacts on again and wait for them to download. Do not do this until after you have logged into iCloud on a computer browser to ensure your contacts are still there.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 11:55 AM in response to KristiMoCoAr

So did you log into www.icloud.com on a computer browser to see if the contacts were still there? If they are still there, then on the iPhone, go to Settings><your name>iCloud, and turn off Contacts. When it asks about keeping them on the iPhone, say no. Then power cycle the iPhone, go back to the same place and turn Contacts on again and wait for them to download. Do not do this until after you have logged into iCloud on a computer browser to ensure your contacts are still there.

Jan 11, 2022 5:04 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I use iCloud. And I should clarify on what I mean by “contacts”. When I got a text from a friend today it didn’t show their name at the top of the screen where their name normally is when you receive a text from someone in your Contact list. It just showed their phone number. I thought it was weird and then it happened later today with another text from a friend. 90% of my contacts are still intact in my phone but a few of them are gone now. What would cause that? I just tried turning my phone off and back on to see if that wound restore them but that didn’t work.

Contacts deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.