Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to macOS 11 but not to 12?

I am currently running a 2018 mac mini with version 10.15.7. At this time I am interested in upgrading to macOS 11, however my only option through the System updates is to 12 (12.1 specifically). For my purposes 12.1 is not fully supported by enough of the software I use so I can't risk upgrading all the way to 12. Is it possible to upgrade to the latest stable version of 11 and NOT all the way to 12?

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2022 8:31 PM

Back up your data and click on Big Sur.

(211885)

4 replies

Feb 1, 2022 7:23 PM in response to Wazatron

Exactly, many of those minor Catalina issues were far worse running Big Sur 11 at least for me.

Today my Mac Mini preforms as well if not better on Monterey 12.2, then it did new on Mojave 10.14.

The things that helped the most are using the following Energy Saver settings,

then to a lesser degree unchecking the Spaces boxes in Mission Control.

Jan 12, 2022 6:42 AM in response to WZS-SEA

My 2018 Mac Mini had no issues running 10.15 Catalina and now no issues running 12 Monterey. It did not run so well on 11 Big Sur and so I took it back to Catalina and skipped completely over 11 Big Sur.

With that in mind, I suggest holding up at Catalina and waiting until your software has been updated to work in Monterey.

https://roaringapps.com/apps?platform=osx

Feb 1, 2022 6:31 PM in response to den.thed

I appreciate the feedback den.thed. If you don't mind me asking, what sorts of problems did you run into with 11? I've had some issues with 10.X ever since I got this 2018 mac mini, specifically around black-screens at wake up, related issues waking up the HDMI connected monitor, occasional freezing, and odd connectivity problems with USB devices. I've been hoping these might improve with 11.

Upgrade to macOS 11 but not to 12?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.