Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone stopped working

Hello,

After I updated my phone to the IOS 15, as it was aviable and I got a notification of it, my microphone stopped working. Or sometimes it works and stops in the middle of a conversation... So naturally I went to the store where I bought my iPhone 11 Pro Max, after which they took it in for a check-up and fix if the microphone was broken or anything else. The microphone turned out to be fine, not broken and also no hardware problems compromising my microphone during a call (after they did a general hardware test to test everything). My microphones next to my camera's work fine (front and back camera), it is really the bottom microphone used with the dictaphone-app, facetime, calling via WhatsApp, a normal call...

Naturally I also tried everything else: turning on/off noise canceling, turning on/off calling via WIFI, resetting my network settings, resetting everything in generale except for media and data, I don't have any bluetooth devices connected, etc.

Is this a bug or?

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 2:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 2:10 AM

If Apple technicians diagnosed that your bottom microphone (on the left side looking at your device) is okay, perhaps your fingers might accidentally interfering with it while using your device.

You can test it by using these instructions:--> If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 2:10 AM in response to xCiiss

If Apple technicians diagnosed that your bottom microphone (on the left side looking at your device) is okay, perhaps your fingers might accidentally interfering with it while using your device.

You can test it by using these instructions:--> If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Jan 12, 2022 3:10 AM in response to xCiiss

Well, it's weird, and I don't know what else to think about that problem, assuming your carrier and your modem router are providing a good signal...

My last attempt would be to perform these two basic troubleshooting steps:

A forced restart of your iPhone, using these instructions:--> Force restart iPhone – Apple Support

If the issue persists, something could have gone wrong during the latest update procedure.

I would try to install a fresh copy of iOS/iPadOS. To do this, create a full backup of your iPhone/iPad (1), then restore it to factory settings (you need a computer to perform this step) and, in the end, set it up as new (2).

When done, restore data from your previously made backup (3).

Follow the instructions provided in these support articles:

(1) How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch – Apple Support

(2) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

(3) Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup

Please keep me informed.

Regards

Giulio

Jan 12, 2022 3:46 AM in response to ProustGiulio

I got that tip while calling Apple Support in Holland as well... I've now done a force restart on my phone, while connecting it to my computer and iTunes, and I actually got a message saying something about that it detected a fault and an update as well? But when I refreshed for an update on my iPhone itself, it said it intstalled the latest update (IOS 15.0 and now I have 15.2...?) I hope this solves the problem! Otherwise the advice was to replace the microphone anyways.

I thought it could be a bug, because I found so many topics on having problems with the microphone, SIRI not reacting, etc. with the update to IOS 15.

Microphone stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.