Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay streaming output

I frequently stream from my iPhone using Airplay to a HomePod Mini here on my desk. From time to time, I wish to switch the output from the Desk HomePod to my Kitchen HomePod. However, when I tap on the other device, it doesn't switch to that device, it adds the device and continues streaming through both. In the process, it creates a two-device virtual speaker that can be tricky to undo.

My workaround is to open the Airplay options, switch to output on the iPhone itself, and then tap on the second HomePod. Is there a way to just switch the output in one tap instead of having to do this workaround?

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 9:44 AM

You should be able to tap the first HomePod to quickly transfer playback to the iPhone, then you'll be ready to tap to the second HomePod without the first one continuing to play. You might also be able to say something like "Hey Siri, move this to the kitchen", although I'm not in a position to check that exact wording works right now. I suppose it might not work with a steam from an iPhone as well as it does if the HomePod initiated the stream.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 9:44 AM in response to B Michael Boyle

You should be able to tap the first HomePod to quickly transfer playback to the iPhone, then you'll be ready to tap to the second HomePod without the first one continuing to play. You might also be able to say something like "Hey Siri, move this to the kitchen", although I'm not in a position to check that exact wording works right now. I suppose it might not work with a steam from an iPhone as well as it does if the HomePod initiated the stream.

tt2

Airplay streaming output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.