Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merging file locations when some files are local and others are stored on a network drive

I have a network attached storage (NAS) device that my MacBook Air is mounted to. I set that as the location for my "Music" library in the preferences. I ripped a ton of my audio CD's to the shared network folder using Music, and all appeared well.

Then, I rebooted my laptop one day, and continued ripping more CD's. Unbeknownst to me, it started ripping them to my local hard drive on the MacBook Air instead of the NAS. So, now some of my Music library is located on my local system and other tracks are stored on the NAS.

Can I just move all the folders from my local library to the NAS folder, and will iTunes automatically update the link to the file, or how do I make sure they are all in the same place?

I have since read instructions on how to permanently mount a network folder using "login items" in the preferences, so hopefully my system won't loose the connection again, now I just need to get my files all in the right place because ultimately I want to have the library available on my MacBook Air, as well as Plex in my living room and other devices.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 12:02 PM

djrobsd1 wrote:

Can I just move all the folders from my local library to the NAS folder, and will iTunes automatically update the link to the file...

No. While iTunes/Music on a Mac will generally cope if you move files around within the same volume you cannot move them to a different one manually without causing issues. Set the media folder to your preferred location, then use File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files to copy in anything currently located outside the designated media folder. You need to clean up the originals by hand after the fact.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 12:02 PM in response to djrobsd1

djrobsd1 wrote:

Can I just move all the folders from my local library to the NAS folder, and will iTunes automatically update the link to the file...

No. While iTunes/Music on a Mac will generally cope if you move files around within the same volume you cannot move them to a different one manually without causing issues. Set the media folder to your preferred location, then use File > Library > Organize Library > Consolidate Files to copy in anything currently located outside the designated media folder. You need to clean up the originals by hand after the fact.

tt2

Merging file locations when some files are local and others are stored on a network drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.