Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Relate local files on NAS with iTunes Match after new installation

Hello everyone,

I purchased one of the recent MacBook Air's recently with Bug Sur in order to replace my old MacBook that had a major hardware error and couldn't be used anymore.

My Music/ iTunes library was already moved to my local NAS before and since I got a subscription for iTunes Match everything was the Cloud as well already. I set up my new MacBook Air without the Time Machine restore because I wanted a fresh system and change the media location to the NAS.

My current issue is now: Music shows all my music, but all files are shown as located in the Cloud. But since the local copies are located on my NAS, how can I relate the entries in my library with the file? When I download a file in the Music app, a copy is created on the NAS.

One option could be to delete all entries in Music and add all files from my NAS again. But I think this means I lose all my ratings and history, right?

Hope I could explain my issue a bit. Any ideas?

Thanks a million in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 6:04 AM

If iTunes or Music currently show an item in the cloud and you import a locally stored copy it should resolve down to one copy stored locally which gets the ratings, play counts, and playlist membership of the item that was previously in the cloud. Test behaviour on a few tracks before importing all of your local media. Make sure that the import is going to leave content where it is currently stored and not create duplicates.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2020 6:04 AM in response to mikex1134

If iTunes or Music currently show an item in the cloud and you import a locally stored copy it should resolve down to one copy stored locally which gets the ratings, play counts, and playlist membership of the item that was previously in the cloud. Test behaviour on a few tracks before importing all of your local media. Make sure that the import is going to leave content where it is currently stored and not create duplicates.

tt2

Relate local files on NAS with iTunes Match after new installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.