Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

locked out of device

my apple ID password is not working to unlock my mac and options to find or rest password for entry are not provided. I am currently locked out of my macbook air. I bought it yesterday and don't know what to do. Can you help me?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 3:50 PM

Thank you for responding. I had to call for tech support. What ended up happening (in case anyone else gets locked out due to password issues) is I powered on and held button down for startup options. Click "options" and continue. Click "forgot all passwords?". Apple ID and password are then confirmed. 4 options appear and instead of choosing among them, click "utilities" in upper left and scroll to "terminal". Type "resetpassword", no spaces. Password reset is clear from there.

Thanks again. Maybe this info will be useful to you or a friend in the future.

Who is John Galt?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2022 3:50 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for responding. I had to call for tech support. What ended up happening (in case anyone else gets locked out due to password issues) is I powered on and held button down for startup options. Click "options" and continue. Click "forgot all passwords?". Apple ID and password are then confirmed. 4 options appear and instead of choosing among them, click "utilities" in upper left and scroll to "terminal". Type "resetpassword", no spaces. Password reset is clear from there.

Thanks again. Maybe this info will be useful to you or a friend in the future.

Who is John Galt?

Jan 12, 2022 2:52 PM in response to marnisue2

I understand you bought a new Mac and configured it using your Apple ID, but after you configured it, its login screen is not accepting those credentials. Now, you're locked out of that Mac completely. Is that right?

You probably used that same Apple ID to log in to this support site. If that is correct, then your Apple ID itself is ok. It's just the Mac that is rejecting those credentials. In that case begin with these instructions: If you can't reset your Mac login password - Apple Support. Be sure to start at the very beginning (Before you begin) and continue methodically all the way through the end.

Jan 12, 2022 7:18 PM in response to marnisue2

Great! Thanks for the update.

I was not certain if you bought the Mac new from Apple or "used" from a previous owner. All new Macs come with complimentary 90 day phone or chat support, so by all means contact them with any concerns you may have. You already paid for that service by buying the Mac, so take advantage of it.

Of course this site is free also. Sometimes it gets even faster attention.

locked out of device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.