Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the 1 before our phone number

Why is the + before our #

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 8:09 AM

Someone put a code into my phone in 2019 . Then I noticed that everyone I called when they called me back they would have the +1. I called every phone company . Nobody knew why it was there. Over 2 years now everyone has it. With the plus 1 whomever controls my laptop. With plus 1 they go through your phone through google to computer and take over. Police will not hear it. As they don’t know about the internet and the future crime it brings. It’s beyond there knowledge. We are doomed with this +1. I know I have been living it for 3 years.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 8:09 AM in response to K Shaffer

Someone put a code into my phone in 2019 . Then I noticed that everyone I called when they called me back they would have the +1. I called every phone company . Nobody knew why it was there. Over 2 years now everyone has it. With the plus 1 whomever controls my laptop. With plus 1 they go through your phone through google to computer and take over. Police will not hear it. As they don’t know about the internet and the future crime it brings. It’s beyond there knowledge. We are doomed with this +1. I know I have been living it for 3 years.

Jan 14, 2022 8:28 AM in response to Zinyard

When you receive a call your carrier sends the number the call is from. Officially, all calls to US numbers begin with a “+1” because that is the region code for North America and the Caribbean (technically, the North American Numbering Plan or NANP). That’s why your phone displays a “1” before the number; it really is part of the number. Some phone companies also require the 1 to precede a number that you call, to distinguish the call from a 7 digit “local” call, and most phone companies require it before toll-free numbers like 800, 888, etc). But, as phone companies are moving away from 7 digit “local” calls all calls will require all 10 digits soon, if not already. Where I live it’s been a requirement for almost 20 years.

Further, “area codes” have become meaningless, because people keep the same phone number as they move around the country. For example, my daughter has an east coast area code, even though she lives now on the west coast. So rather than have a number that is area code+exchange+line everyone has a totally meaningless 10 digit number, preceded by a “1”.

Jan 14, 2022 10:00 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Recent letter (bulk rate USPS) from main service provider this region, dated Oct 24 2021:

"10-digit Dialing Will Now Be Required for All Local Calls"

Dear Neighbor:

Starting on October 24 2021, the FCC has mandated that all phone calls will require dialing the full 10-digit phone number, including area code. That means that all residents (AK) regardless of their service provider, will need to dial '9xx' before seven-digit numbers, even when making a local phone call. There is no change to dialing 911 for emergency calling.

What do you need to do?

• Begin using full 10-digit phone numbers when dialing local calls.

• Make sure your mobile contact entries include full 10-digit local number, including '9xx'.

• Reprogram any call forwarding or local phone features to start with '9xx'.

• Reprogram local business phones to start with '9xx'.

• Reprogram all local services, automatic dialing equipment, or other types of equipment to complete calls using a 10-digit number. Examples include, but are not limited to:

•Fax machines

•Fire of burglar alarms

•Security systems or gates

•Life safety systems or medical monitoring devices

•Emergency elevator phones

If you are a business customer with a Managed Voice phone system, Gxx will reprogram your phones. No action is required by you. However, if you are a business or small business customer, with additional lines that are not Managed Voice, you are responsible for reprogramming those systems. In some rare cases, older phones systems may not be compatible with 10-digit dialing and will need to be replaced. Please contact your account manager with questions about your phone system. You may call 800-xxx-0000.

Thank you.

Your Neighbors at 'Gxx'

+=+=+=+

A call on landline, (suspicious) from their business number in my Caller-ID

from 'this local business' the call initiator had a non-regional accent. And

asked more than usual questions [most these,would require a Yes, or No].

On further inquiry, the woman said she was calling, as 'Contractor for 'Gxx'

from the Philippines. I politely begged off the call and hung up. Before I

could provide them any more personal details they wanted to harvest.

An unusual call, and an example of call spoofing that some recent calls show

in landline phone, or cellular CallerID, who've called lately. I pick up the phone,

& say nothing. Most non-robotic callers would say something, into the silence.

The automated calls, hang up. Those even with 'local area code' will not accept

return calls; with or without the +1. That's because more often, they're faked.

Harder to get rid of those, too. Never talk first. Let a 'mystery caller-device' do so.

Reporting those calls becomes suspect when an alleged return call from foreign

country (or not) asks for addition phone numbers, or info an official would've had.

Contents of actual letter: manually transcribed. I hadn't tossed it into shredder.🌻

Jan 13, 2022 10:50 AM in response to steve359

Also a 10-digit requirement in USA + many countries, is for all 'local calls'.

Local carriers 'drops the call' from in area sourced phones. A recording says

+1 is not needed. ~ While all other 10-digits, now are required with all calls.

(This affects all calls, land-line & cellular; and roll-out was last month here.)

Hopefully that means something. In my region, it's an inconvenience.

A proliferation of non-local cellular devices could be the causative agent.

Good luck & happy trails! ☺︎

Jan 17, 2022 1:11 AM in response to Zinyard

Hyperventilation is how they make you see things

that weren't there at all, in the first place. Stop that!

The letters were sent from local phone and cable companies

to tell their paid Subscribers (within a 2 to 6 year span) of this

transition. There is no boogie-man, or any conspiracies in that.

I've requested of the hosts, to at least allow me to "un-follow"

from this ASC thread; & no reasoning can get through to you.

Double-lock your doors & windows, it's 'All-Hallows-Eve' for you! 🤪

Why is the 1 before our phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.