Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Monterey

I am using MacBook Pro 13 (2019). I need help with the big mistake which I have got when I did upgrade to macOS Monterey 12.1. My MacBook is in sleep mode then I turn it on to work but it doesn't. In this case, my MacBook is warm till out of battery. It has happened 6 times. I am not really happy when I do upgrade macOS Monterey.

Please, I hope that someone can help me to solve this issue. I do really really appreciate it. 🥰🥰🥰🥰

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 10:02 AM

Try connecting the charger directly to the laptop. Many times these USB-C Apple laptops require having the charger connected even if the battery is fully charged. If pressing the power button does not turn on/wake the laptop, then wait about five minutes to see if it will power on/wake on its own. If this does not work, then try an SMC Reset which will force the laptop to power off and of course reset the SMC chip (the process is different for the 2018+ models with the T2 security chip such as your laptop).

You can also try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem, but don't disconnect any external hard drives/SSDs since you risk corrupting the drive if the laptop is sleeping/hibernating (it is a good idea to disconnect external drives as well if the laptop is completely powered off and won't power on).

Does the same thing happen while booted into Safe Mode? If not, then perhaps you have some third party software installed that is causing a problem.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Edit: You can also downgrade back to macOS Big Sur if you perform a clean install of macOS and restore from a backup made before the upgrade to Monterey. If you perform a clean install of Big Sur, then make sure to transfer any new or modified files to an external drive so that you can manually transfer them back after installing Big Sur since you won't be able to use a Time Machine backup made with Monterey.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

While it is possible to install Big Sur beside Monterey, this will complicate things and take up double the storage space so I really don't recommend installing Big Sur beside Monterey. Plus you will have two different copies of your files in each OS. Which OS holds the latest copy of each file?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 10:02 AM in response to Votanduyen

Try connecting the charger directly to the laptop. Many times these USB-C Apple laptops require having the charger connected even if the battery is fully charged. If pressing the power button does not turn on/wake the laptop, then wait about five minutes to see if it will power on/wake on its own. If this does not work, then try an SMC Reset which will force the laptop to power off and of course reset the SMC chip (the process is different for the 2018+ models with the T2 security chip such as your laptop).

You can also try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem, but don't disconnect any external hard drives/SSDs since you risk corrupting the drive if the laptop is sleeping/hibernating (it is a good idea to disconnect external drives as well if the laptop is completely powered off and won't power on).

Does the same thing happen while booted into Safe Mode? If not, then perhaps you have some third party software installed that is causing a problem.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Edit: You can also downgrade back to macOS Big Sur if you perform a clean install of macOS and restore from a backup made before the upgrade to Monterey. If you perform a clean install of Big Sur, then make sure to transfer any new or modified files to an external drive so that you can manually transfer them back after installing Big Sur since you won't be able to use a Time Machine backup made with Monterey.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

While it is possible to install Big Sur beside Monterey, this will complicate things and take up double the storage space so I really don't recommend installing Big Sur beside Monterey. Plus you will have two different copies of your files in each OS. Which OS holds the latest copy of each file?

Jan 18, 2022 7:44 AM in response to Votanduyen

I have the same issue that started today. I also have a Macbook Pro (2019). Here are the specs:

16" 2019

2.3 GHz 8-core intel core I(

Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

When the laptop goes to sleep, it does not come back from sleep mode without holding the power button down for 10 seconds or more which does a hard re-start.

macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.