Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop icons cannot be dragged to grid positions

I am building on a software bug that is a major annoyance that has plagued all Mac desktops systems for more than a decade because it is being ignored by Apple software developers. On Nov 23, 2020, an experienced user named Matt B. outlined the problem very well: "Desktop icons cannot be dragged to grid positions. When I try to move a desktop icon to a gap in the grid, it jumps to some other gap in the grid as soon as I let go of the mouse. (Snap to grid is turned on.) This is a problem with Mac OS 11 and was also a problem with recent versions of Mac OS X. This is something that always worked since my original "Fat Mac" in 1984 but in recent years does not work. The finder keeps trying to force icons to grid positions other than the one that I have dragged them to. On my old machine running Mac OS X 10.4, this will always happen if you try to drag the icon to the center of the grid position, but you can always put the icon into the position that you want by dragging it a little to the lower-right of where you want it. In recent versions of Mac OS dragging icons does not work at all and my desktop is a mess."

So far, the response from Apple has been a bandaid approach that eschews a permanent fix: "Please right click on desktop and select "Clean Up."" This only works for a while and then the same thing keeps happening: icons do not want to stay on the grid where they are positioned -- they snap to some totally random place. Like Matt, I have close to 4 decades experienced working with Macs -- and back in the good old days, the snap to grid worked flawlessly. Absolutely everyone I know that works on a mac deals with this -- and they have just settled with having messy folders/desktops. This is a very widespread problem.

In short: the routinely provided solution: "Please right click on the desktop and select clean up" only solves the problem momentarily, because not long after, the same issue begins to occur. This is a software bug that needs to be fixed. Thank you for your attention to this issue.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 10:51 AM

This is an Apple Community forum where Apple users help themselves. Despite their being Apple employee moderators, this is not the right place to report a bug to macOS engineers and developers.

The correct place is https://feedbackassistant.apple.com (formerly bugreport.apple.com).

When you file the bug report, put it under macOS & Finder categories as Finder actually controls the Desktop icons. You will need to be extremely detailed in your explanation of the problem as well as provide step-by-step ways to reproduce the problem. There is an option to upload a screen recording. So I would go so far as to create a test user on your Mac, generate a bunch of files on the Desktop and then screen record the problem and upload it in the bug report along with a detailed written description of the problem.

You can create a bunch of files quickly in Terminal (bash or zsh):

touch Desktop\test{001..005}.txt

That will generate a range {001..005} of numbered empty text files such as, Test001.txt, Test002.txt, Test003.txt, Test004.txt, and Test005.txt. Generate enough files to setup your desktop grid pattern for reproducing the problem without sending Apple any personal data via filenames, etc.

Use the Screenshot app in /Applications/Utilities to record a portion of your desktop. You only need a recording of precise problem and nothing else. Use a plain solid color background and record as you move the mouse and drag the icons around. You can use QuickTime Player to trim the video down as necessary to keep it short and direct to the point.

The more detailed and concise and to the point your bug report is the more likely it will be addressed as a bug fix in a future release. They ask for the results you expected and the results you actually experienced.

Encourage others to also submit the problem as a bug report using the Apple Feedback Assistant. The more people raising an issue the more attention it will likely receive. But something like this not as serious as say a crash or data loss bug. and there are no guarantees Apple will fix this.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 10:51 AM in response to Alex_2022

This is an Apple Community forum where Apple users help themselves. Despite their being Apple employee moderators, this is not the right place to report a bug to macOS engineers and developers.

The correct place is https://feedbackassistant.apple.com (formerly bugreport.apple.com).

When you file the bug report, put it under macOS & Finder categories as Finder actually controls the Desktop icons. You will need to be extremely detailed in your explanation of the problem as well as provide step-by-step ways to reproduce the problem. There is an option to upload a screen recording. So I would go so far as to create a test user on your Mac, generate a bunch of files on the Desktop and then screen record the problem and upload it in the bug report along with a detailed written description of the problem.

You can create a bunch of files quickly in Terminal (bash or zsh):

touch Desktop\test{001..005}.txt

That will generate a range {001..005} of numbered empty text files such as, Test001.txt, Test002.txt, Test003.txt, Test004.txt, and Test005.txt. Generate enough files to setup your desktop grid pattern for reproducing the problem without sending Apple any personal data via filenames, etc.

Use the Screenshot app in /Applications/Utilities to record a portion of your desktop. You only need a recording of precise problem and nothing else. Use a plain solid color background and record as you move the mouse and drag the icons around. You can use QuickTime Player to trim the video down as necessary to keep it short and direct to the point.

The more detailed and concise and to the point your bug report is the more likely it will be addressed as a bug fix in a future release. They ask for the results you expected and the results you actually experienced.

Encourage others to also submit the problem as a bug report using the Apple Feedback Assistant. The more people raising an issue the more attention it will likely receive. But something like this not as serious as say a crash or data loss bug. and there are no guarantees Apple will fix this.

Feb 26, 2022 1:04 AM in response to Scott28s

Scott28s wrote:

The link provided " https://feedbackassistant.apple.com (formerly bugreport.apple.com)" does not direct to a place where this can be reported. It shows two options: Apple Beta Software Program, and Apple Developer Program ([...] to report feedback for APIs and developer tools).

You can send a bug report from the Feedback page.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Feb 25, 2022 10:43 PM in response to James Brickley

The link provided " https://feedbackassistant.apple.com (formerly bugreport.apple.com)" does not direct to a place where this can be reported. It shows two options: Apple Beta Software Program, and Apple Developer Program ([...] to report feedback for APIs and developer tools).

Is MacOS Monterey (12.2) in Beta? Are we all Beta testers?

As a side note, this might have to do with switching monitors (and switching back) resulting in the grids moving around. I don't see why else CleanUp has a small shift on the icons and everything working slightly better for a short time.

Desktop icons cannot be dragged to grid positions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.