Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Indexing and Searching Disabled

Terminal reports "Indexing and searching disabled" on all external drives.

Apple Support Senior Advisor just told me on the phone, “Contact all the drive manufacturers. It is their fault.“ At one point, she even told me to upgrade to Monterey, as a fix.

This is utter nonsense. The drives are manufactured by 3 different companies, one is an SSD, another is a 2.5" drive and the other 5 are 3.5" drives. The common factor is that they are all external drives.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Mac mini M1 w/16GB RAM

Big Sur 11.6.2

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 3:53 PM

Many things can cause Spotlight to misbehave. Here are two of them, and their solutions.

NOTE: The standard first step is to add the problematic drive to the Privacy tab in System Preferences… > Spotlight > Privacy, then remove it. This post discusses cases where that fails.

In our case, Spotlight refused to index external drives that were newly formatted and then cloned with SuperDuper. The clonings were performed with a full "Erase _____, then copy files from ____" on 4 drives. This does not copy the Spotlight database, because it is rarely meaningful on the destination drive. Instead, macOS creates a new folder named “.Spotlight-V100” whenever it mounts a drive for the first time.

Notice the dot prepended to the filename. That means the file is hidden in Finder. To make it visible, type Shift-CMD-period at any time in Finder.

SOLUTION

By comparing files, folders and plist contents of a problem drive with those of a working drive, we discovered that two things needed to happen. 

Step 1. In the drive root, delete this file: .metadata_never_index_unless_rootfs

Step 2. In the folder /.Spotlight-V100, replace a line in this file: VolumeConfiguration.plist.

On the problem drives, the plist contains lines something like this, which tells Spotlight not to index this drive at all:

<key>Exclusions</key>
	<array>
		<string>/</string>
	</array>

We replaced these lines with this:

<key>Exclusions</key>
	<array/>
	<key>Options</key>

• Performing Step 1 without Step 2 has no effect. 
  • Performing Step 2 without Step 1 has no effect. 

To check for success, launch Terminal, and issue this command:

sudo mdutil -a -i on /

It will report which drives have Spotlight enabled and which do not.

APPLE SUPPORT FAILS

On the first phone call to Apple Support, a Senior Advisor told us, “Contact all the drive manufacturers. It is their fault.“ This is utter nonsense. At one point, she even told me to upgrade to Monterey, as a fix.

On the second phone call to Apple Support, a tech suggested that Spotlight is finding a mismatch between the name of the cloned volume and drive ID it is expecting to see. Also utter nonsense.

Dave Nivian at Shirt Pocket software was most patient and informative in helping me solve this, even though it had nothing to do with his SuperDuper.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 3:53 PM in response to Al Hatch

Many things can cause Spotlight to misbehave. Here are two of them, and their solutions.

NOTE: The standard first step is to add the problematic drive to the Privacy tab in System Preferences… > Spotlight > Privacy, then remove it. This post discusses cases where that fails.

In our case, Spotlight refused to index external drives that were newly formatted and then cloned with SuperDuper. The clonings were performed with a full "Erase _____, then copy files from ____" on 4 drives. This does not copy the Spotlight database, because it is rarely meaningful on the destination drive. Instead, macOS creates a new folder named “.Spotlight-V100” whenever it mounts a drive for the first time.

Notice the dot prepended to the filename. That means the file is hidden in Finder. To make it visible, type Shift-CMD-period at any time in Finder.

SOLUTION

By comparing files, folders and plist contents of a problem drive with those of a working drive, we discovered that two things needed to happen. 

Step 1. In the drive root, delete this file: .metadata_never_index_unless_rootfs

Step 2. In the folder /.Spotlight-V100, replace a line in this file: VolumeConfiguration.plist.

On the problem drives, the plist contains lines something like this, which tells Spotlight not to index this drive at all:

<key>Exclusions</key>
	<array>
		<string>/</string>
	</array>

We replaced these lines with this:

<key>Exclusions</key>
	<array/>
	<key>Options</key>

• Performing Step 1 without Step 2 has no effect. 
  • Performing Step 2 without Step 1 has no effect. 

To check for success, launch Terminal, and issue this command:

sudo mdutil -a -i on /

It will report which drives have Spotlight enabled and which do not.

APPLE SUPPORT FAILS

On the first phone call to Apple Support, a Senior Advisor told us, “Contact all the drive manufacturers. It is their fault.“ This is utter nonsense. At one point, she even told me to upgrade to Monterey, as a fix.

On the second phone call to Apple Support, a tech suggested that Spotlight is finding a mismatch between the name of the cloned volume and drive ID it is expecting to see. Also utter nonsense.

Dave Nivian at Shirt Pocket software was most patient and informative in helping me solve this, even though it had nothing to do with his SuperDuper.

Jan 14, 2022 9:21 PM in response to Al Hatch

Dave Vivian has always been a stand up guy who helped me anticipate my last experience with an iMac previous to the one I am now using which was equipped with a SSD/and 3.5 drive (Fusion was the name of this offering?). In any case, when I contacted Dave as a long time SuperDuper user and posed a situation I was experiencing with an alert from SuperDuper, Dave realized the Fusion Drive would soon fail. In time, I had to contact Apple and report this. My tech support person was very slow to consider that this was inevitable. But, Dave, in his usual style for doing things supplied me with logs that I then submitted to Apple's tech support person. Eventually, I gained his support. He then passed the logs to a senior team who reviewed them and concluded I was wrong. But Dave provided me with subsequent logs from my SuperDuper which were incontrovertible and Apple arranged for an independent repair service to come to my location, remove my iMac, replace the drive with a brand new one. Two or three months later, I read that Apple had recalled a large number of drives or would accept customers whose computers were equipped with the same drives. It's clear that with Dave as a supportive person he is, when Apple is in the equation, it's not watching or wondering what happened, it's making it happen. Glad, Al, that Dave helped you recover what Apple's macOS wrought.

My story with my iMac with Monterey already upgraded to by me with this and that not quite right. Prior to that update, I experienced a loss of the search function in Outlook. But only in Outlook for Mac. I was fortunate enough to contact Microsoft's tech support who agreed to help me over a phone call support session and succeeded in fixing the issue. But with the 12.1 build, the search function was inoperable. And the fix, i.e., moving Mac HD to SpotLight in System Preferences and to the Privacy Tab then removing Mac HD and adding Profile 15 which was accessed by the Go Function, and then removing Profile 15, then discovering that in the first curative session I could see Spotlight indexing hinted at by a spinning gear within the Spotlight Privacy tab area. But in the second instance, Spotlight had not been successfully "nudged" to index and restore the search function for emails and contacts within Outlook For Mac. And Outlook for Mac's tech support staff only accessible via a chat channel within Outlook assured me that it was Apple that broke Outlook and it would take time for a restoration. Sorry for the long preamble. Unhappily, I waited for that outcome to materialize. Finally a few days ago when Office auto-updater informed me build 16.57 was available to update Office for Mac, my intuition and a highly motivated wish-it-were-so believed this build would cure Outlook's broken trigger to prompt Spotlight to index emails and contacts. And build 16.57 did just that with no fuss. I am glad for Al that Dave Vivian was available to cure what ailed you. Incidentally, I, too, have a recently purchased Mac mini M1 to replace a perfectly excellent 6core Mac mini late 2018 populated with 32GB of memory. I updated Big Sur with Monterey, but have neglected to update Monterey on the M1 to 12.1. Now with your prompts for a cure (though I am not sure I get exactly how to go about the cure), while I have no wish to update to 12.1, your excellent information is comforting. You and Dave deserve high recognition for providing a cure for Apple's latest Mac-ination that turned Outlook for Mac into a still giant of a program and I had to make excuses to many who I dealt with when required to supply data in various forms for various outcomes. Well done! Thank you. Best, REShaman

Jan 14, 2022 11:23 PM in response to Al Hatch

Al, I knew that! I just decided to join you in the Dave Nanian you decided on (smile). Thank you for correcting us both (I do know his correct last name, I was just bonding with you). I only mentioned the story because Apple can act in a very controlling manner and sometimes one needs the clarity and credentials of a Dave Nanian who knows how to assist a person less knowledgeable but on the correct side of a situation that could be ultimately hurtful. I gather that there are expected consequences when one chooses a brand, and engineers who innovate and the fall out when something new is introduced and we are the voluntary or obligatory beta testers to report back and let our audience of developers know what we encounter on the path they lay out for us. It's good we have resources. Your sharing what you learned benefits us all. And it's great that Dave Nanian cares to share his expertise and experience to help us (in this case), perhaps, help our developers. Enjoy the pathway. Stay safe. Best personal regards, REShaman

Spotlight Indexing and Searching Disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.