Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe pdf reader not working after last update

I have a MacBook Air M1updated to 12.1 Monterey, and since the update when trying to open any pdf document, the document opens and immediately freezes, a rainbow-colored spiral keeps whirling until forever. Very nice but totally useless. Today I updated the Adobe pdf reader to its latest version and this keeps happening.

note that Adobe says the requirement is, among others, an Intel M1 MacOs !!!???.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 7:45 AM

Install the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (21.011.20039 as of this post date). Just click the download button. Ignore the Acrobat Pro trial. That version works for me on macOS 11.6.2 and 12.1 on an M1 mini and MBP M1 Pro.

10 replies

Jan 14, 2022 8:01 AM in response to Voyager-in-Gale

And I cannot recreate that stated problem here with any PDF. Reboot your Mac and see if the problem persists. Are these exceptionally large corporate PDFs with images? You also might consider cleaning your Acrobat Reader DC recent files by just opening the application and selecting Clear Recent in the lower right corner of the recent file entries.

Jan 14, 2022 8:15 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for following up.

It does it even with one page of text-only documents.

I'll follow your advice and let you know, by rebooting you mean just shut down and restart I hope, because I don't wish to do a full restore.

To list all the information:

MacBook Air 2021 M1

macOS Monterey v 12.1 - update Jan 11

Adobe Acrobat Reader v. 21.011.20039 - update today at about 12.30 UTC.

Feb 28, 2022 7:29 AM in response to Voyager-in-Gale

I am experiencing the same problem as Voyager-in-Gale. I have followed the same steps as VikingOSX reported and am running the same system as that person reported (macOS ... 12.1 on an M1 mini and MBP M1 Pro. current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (21.011.20039. I wondered if it was a clue that in requiring me to define my system Adobe did not offer any alternative to a Mac Intel which obviously is not the CPU manufacturer on the MacBookPro I am using. However since VikingOSX says it works for him I expected it to for me or I would have if I had not read Voyager-in-Gale's posts. In any case it is not working for me either.

Adobe pdf reader not working after last update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.