Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How I can clean my Imac from any but or virus

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 9:58 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Mac computers cannot get viruses. They can only get some malware or adware.

In addition, Mac computers do not need any sort of anti-virus, cleaners, VPNs, etc. The only thing they are good at is creating false marketing promises and taking consumers' money. They are all scams. In fact, anti-virus and other cleaners cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is far worse with these types of Apps installed.

Mac computers have protection built-in, which is the best protection for your Mac. For specifics on macOS Security, see: macOS - Security - Apple and Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support. Mac computers also have built-in storage recommendations: Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support. You can even use the built-in macOS Firewall: Block connections to your Mac with a firewall - Apple Support. Other than that, all you should do is restart your Mac approximately once a week and keep macOS up to date: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

However, should you ever get adware or malware on your Mac, the only tool that should be used to remove it is the free Malwarebytes for Mac. This App is the only exception to the general rule that no anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. should be used.

Jack

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 9:58 AM in response to cubanphoto

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Mac computers cannot get viruses. They can only get some malware or adware.

In addition, Mac computers do not need any sort of anti-virus, cleaners, VPNs, etc. The only thing they are good at is creating false marketing promises and taking consumers' money. They are all scams. In fact, anti-virus and other cleaners cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is far worse with these types of Apps installed.

Mac computers have protection built-in, which is the best protection for your Mac. For specifics on macOS Security, see: macOS - Security - Apple and Protecting against malware in macOS - Apple Support. Mac computers also have built-in storage recommendations: Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support. You can even use the built-in macOS Firewall: Block connections to your Mac with a firewall - Apple Support. Other than that, all you should do is restart your Mac approximately once a week and keep macOS up to date: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

However, should you ever get adware or malware on your Mac, the only tool that should be used to remove it is the free Malwarebytes for Mac. This App is the only exception to the general rule that no anti-virus, anti-malware, etc. should be used.

Jack

Jan 14, 2022 10:25 AM in response to cubanphoto

Macs do not require any third party cleaning, Antivirus or ANY other third party maintenance products. Simply keep your Mac up to date and otherwise leave it alone and it should perform well for years. You can get some malware however if you use a little common sense such as:

• Never download anything from a site you do not know or trust.
  • Never use a torrent to download software.
  • If you ever get a call, email, popup or any other message indicating your system has been infected or compromise, recognize it for what it is, a scam!

Then your Mac should remain pretty trouble free.

I have been using Macs well over 20 years and have NEVER had any malware. In addition the AV and cleaning apps available on the market do NOTHING that Mac OS doesn't already do so they are a waste of time, money and add no additional layer of security to your system. If you are still not convinced then the only app most experienced users would recommend is called Malwarebytes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.