Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ran EtreCheck on Mac mini (late 2014) : need help with next steps

I have a Mac mini (late 2014) that has been extremely sluggish lately—very, very slow to start up, and just generally slow to open apps, work etc. I thought initially that I would just need to do some sort of quick "clean up" but honestly now that I've read lots of different suggestions for how to deal with a slow computer, I'm more confused than before. After reading through several posts here, I downloaded and ran both SMART Utility/Volitans (screenshot attached) and EtreCheck but am not sure where to go from here. I have saved all my data to a Seagate Backup Plus Slim external hard drive, using Time Machine, but what do I do next? Can someone help interpret the EtreCheck report?

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 7:42 PM

It appears you are still using the original HD as startup, at 5400RPM it is very slow. You could improve this with a NVMe and adapter made for a Late 2014 Mac Mini. Or just get a SSD and replace the original HD. There are many instructions for this on youtube and other places, look them up with a search engine. I have the same make and model with both SSD and NVMe, it now boots in 20 seconds.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 7:42 PM in response to Milly-10

It appears you are still using the original HD as startup, at 5400RPM it is very slow. You could improve this with a NVMe and adapter made for a Late 2014 Mac Mini. Or just get a SSD and replace the original HD. There are many instructions for this on youtube and other places, look them up with a search engine. I have the same make and model with both SSD and NVMe, it now boots in 20 seconds.

Jan 15, 2022 3:02 PM in response to Milly-10

An NVMe is faster, They are both SSD, Solid State Drives. The other is a 2 1/2" drive the same physical size as the HD you have. It would fit without an adapter inside your machine.

A NVMe looks like the following Photo:

Both are faster than the old drive and have varying sizes up to two Terabytes. The NVMe has a socket on the bottom of the computer it plugs into with an adapter inside the cover. You could get an NVME of a smaller size for the speed and save money as a startup drive. Then use the other as extra storage and backup. The NVMe is more expensive.

Jan 16, 2022 1:09 AM in response to Milly-10

I put SAMSUNG 860 EVO SATA SSD inside an old Mac mini 2009 running El Capitan when the old SATA 7200 rpm spinning HDD was getting way too slow. The form factor and the connector is identical so it was fairly easy DIY. I gave it to a relative for light use and it is WAY faster now.

I believe the slightly better (?) SAMSUNG 870 EVO SATA SSD has now replaced that TLC SSD. I'd avoid Samsung 870 QVO that uses QLC SSD because it might be slow with large writes and less reliable than TLC.

SATA limits the speed of those SSDs to about 530-550 MB/s while new M.2 NVMe is about 2500-3500 MB/s. But the old Macs might not support those speeds anyway? An SATA-M.2 adapter might also be incompatible in some weird way?

Jan 17, 2022 1:27 PM in response to bobcollard

Another question, please bear with me, re: storage vs speed.

What I have:

Processor 2.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Storage 1 TB SATA drive (have used 160 GB, have 840 GB free)

So when we're talking about speed, I gather that's the processor. If I get either SSD or NVMe, it would be taking over the "thinking" function, mostly for starting up, right? With that much storage space available on the original drive, do I really need another new drive or is there a reason to not rely on that anymore? Would any of these address the working memory?

I also do have a new external drive that I bought to serve as a backup disk. Was just going to keep that up to date with Time Machine.

Ran EtreCheck on Mac mini (late 2014) : need help with next steps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.