Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forever Spinning Beachball - How do I attached the EtreCheck Report

I have the infuriating forever spinning beachball on almost all applications. The computer works "ok" after restarting and steadily goes downhill with timing between completion of tasks taking forever. I only use simple programs like Safari, Excel Word, Scan Snap and Parallels with Windows 10. A computer technician diagnosed that my hard drive is ok but couldn't figure out any software issues. I learned about EtreCheck and ran the program in my iMac. I don't know how to interpret it. I can't seem to attach it with the options given below. How do I attach the report ?

iMac

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2022 10:07 AM

The report suggests that you have a failing hard drive:

Write speed: 42 MB/s
Read speed: 41 MB/s

The first thing you should do is confirm that you have a full and current backup of your internal boot drive.

One course of action you can take is to get an external SSD, clone your boot drive to it and boot and run from it. Your internal HDD is larger than most available SSD (the largest being 4 TB but very, very expensive).

You could get a smaller external SSD, like 1TB, for the system and user data with Music and Photo libraries on another external drive, either SSD or HDD.

What I use is the following SATA to USB drive docks from OWC (MacSales.com) with bare SSDs:

These would be easy to take with you when you upgrade your iMac and used for external storage and beta system testing.

Another possible alternative would be this setup:

Larger bare SSDs are less expensive than those with their own uses.

Just some food for thought.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 14, 2022 10:07 AM in response to dddog

The report suggests that you have a failing hard drive:

The first thing you should do is confirm that you have a full and current backup of your internal boot drive.

One course of action you can take is to get an external SSD, clone your boot drive to it and boot and run from it. Your internal HDD is larger than most available SSD (the largest being 4 TB but very, very expensive).

You could get a smaller external SSD, like 1TB, for the system and user data with Music and Photo libraries on another external drive, either SSD or HDD.

What I use is the following SATA to USB drive docks from OWC (MacSales.com) with bare SSDs:

These would be easy to take with you when you upgrade your iMac and used for external storage and beta system testing.

Another possible alternative would be this setup:

Larger bare SSDs are less expensive than those with their own uses.

Just some food for thought.

Aug 14, 2022 10:07 AM in response to dddog

You have a 2015 model, that's 7 years old. Definitely could be a failing drive. You also have a mechanical (spinning) internal hard drive, those run extremely slowly under Monterey as they have to be in APFS format, which is poorly suited to mechanical drives (APFS is optimized for SSDs).

https://bombich.com/blog/2019/09/12/analysis-apfs-enumeration-performance-on-rotational-hard-drives

Also the report says performance is "poor":

Performance:

System Load: 1.74 (1 min ago) 1.80 (5 min ago) 1.81 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O usage: 4.66 MB/s

File system: 134.49 seconds (timed out)

Those are very slow numbers. I get 500 MB/s on my iMac late 2015 (which has an internal SSD), and 3000 MB/s on my 2019 MacBook Pro (internal SSD). I would expect at least 150 MB/s from a healthy mechanical drive..

I think running the suite of Microsoft, Adobe and Parallels (VM) applications together would make any computer under Monterey and a mechanical APFS drive unacceptably slow, but on top of that yours appears to be failing.

You can check this yourself by downloading and running DriveDX, run the long, extended test, not just the short test.

Assuming that you confirm that the internal drive needs to be replaced, replacing it with an SSD will speed things up by a factor of 10x or more. I don't know who the technician was that tested it for you, but I would have it tested at an Apple Authorized Service Provider. They can also replace the internal drive for you, if that is what needs to be done.

Aug 14, 2022 12:15 PM in response to Old Toad

My husband just handed ma a large capacity Western Digital SSD that hasn't been used. Will that work? Since I am a computer idiot, can you tell me how to start the process of cloning my boot drive to it? Also, I have a G-Drive that my Time Machine backs up to. So hoping that will be helpful if my iMac just stops altogether. Further, I have been waiting 20 minutes for an email to load that has the key/license to DriveDx so I can verify the failing drive. .

Forever Spinning Beachball - How do I attached the EtreCheck Report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.