Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete multiple messages on mac

Hello. I want to regularly clean up the messages on my Mac, which is running 12.1. Previous articles and posts mentioned using the command or shift keys, selecting multiple messages and then deleting them. That doesn't work. There seems to be no way to select more than one message at a time, no matter what keys I'm holding down. The only other way to delete a message, one at a time, is to select it, right-click on "delete conversation," and then hit the delete button on the confirmation window. That is an utterly and ridiculously time-consuming method if I need to delete more than one message at a time. Any help out there?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 9:15 AM

Hi, I just figured out a work-around that suits me. Apple, about this Mac, Storage, manage, messages, delete using shift or other shortcuts as you please. One caveat, it only shows your largest files to delete. Nonetheless, I was able to delete about 4 GB of space. Hope this helps.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 9:15 AM in response to hsample

Hi, I just figured out a work-around that suits me. Apple, about this Mac, Storage, manage, messages, delete using shift or other shortcuts as you please. One caveat, it only shows your largest files to delete. Nonetheless, I was able to delete about 4 GB of space. Hope this helps.

Jan 15, 2022 10:40 AM in response to hsample

hsample wrote:

Allow me to repeat what I said in the original post:
"...Previous articles and posts mentioned using the command or shift keys,
selecting multiple messages and then deleting them. That doesn't work.
There seems to be no way to select more than one message at a time, no
matter what keys I'm holding down...."

Allow me to repeat myself:

You can file a bug report or you can submit your Apple Feedback directly to the Product Team:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/messages.html

You can always contact Apple using the link in the up right hand corner—Get Support

Jan 15, 2022 9:02 AM in response to hsample

hsample wrote:

Hello. I want to regularly clean up the messages on my Mac, which is running 12.1. Previous articles and posts mentioned using the command or shift keys, selecting multiple messages and then deleting them. That doesn't work. There seems to be no way to select more than one message at a time, no matter what keys I'm holding down. The only other way to delete a message, one at a time, is to select it, right-click on "delete conversation," and then hit the delete button on the confirmation window. That is an utterly and ridiculously time-consuming method if I need to delete more than one message at a time. Any help out there?

Delete messages and conversations in Messages on Mac

Messages User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

You can file a bug report or you can submit your Apple Feedback directly to the Product Team:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/messages.html

Jan 15, 2022 11:50 AM in response to hsample

hsample wrote:

And now I'll ask you this: If Apple has not seen fit up to this point to provide a quick and easy way to delete multiple messages -- after all the discussion about this problem in this venue -- why the heck should I waste my time sending yet another bug report or feedback that just gets ignored or trashed?

Well, all I can say is you are wasting your time railing on in this user to user support community.

The appropriate links were provided above—

you can Contact the corporate office https://www.apple.com/contact/

delete multiple messages on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.