Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not all folders are indexed on MacOS Monterey

I got a new MBP but not all folders are indexed. When I search for a filename e.g. that contains "xmas", it finds filenames with "xmas" in some folders, but not in all the folders on "This Mac" and not the current folder.

I followed the instructions at How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support , but it did not change anything.

Does anyone have better instructions how I get MacOS Monterey to reindex the whole computer? It seems like Spotlight is failing to index the folders I use the most.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 6:43 AM

Hello Alicia_K1,

thank you for looking at my screenshot.

It turned out that my MBP installed Monterey 12.1 last night, and now the Spotlight search is working again. I had not changed the Spotlight settings per your suggestion. The search in Finder now finds all the expected files. Here's a screenshot of what my test folder looks like now (I added a couple of files since the last screenshot). But search is again working in my most used folders, where I was really getting frustrated. So this problem appears to be resolved. Whew!

-mjlee

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 6:43 AM in response to Ali_E1

Hello Alicia_K1,

thank you for looking at my screenshot.

It turned out that my MBP installed Monterey 12.1 last night, and now the Spotlight search is working again. I had not changed the Spotlight settings per your suggestion. The search in Finder now finds all the expected files. Here's a screenshot of what my test folder looks like now (I added a couple of files since the last screenshot). But search is again working in my most used folders, where I was really getting frustrated. So this problem appears to be resolved. Whew!

-mjlee

Jan 16, 2022 3:40 PM in response to Ali_E1

I made a test folder and put files in it to hopefully be more clear. When I search for files whose filenames contain "problem", Spotlight cannot find them in the current folder. It can only find them on "This Mac".

Per the instructions above, I have gone into the Privacy tab of Spotlight Settings and subtracted and then re-added the folder for my username of mjl. But that doesn't change anything. I hope I don't have to subtract/add every individual folder one at a time. Surely there is another way to force Monterey to index everything specified in the Spotlight settings, for all folders?

Thank you,

-mj

Jan 16, 2022 2:26 PM in response to mjlee

Hi, mjlee. 

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! We understand that seeing all available options when you search for a specific filename on your MacBook Pro, and rebuilding the Spotlight index was not helpful. We have a few more questions that may aid us in assisting you. 

Are the missing files saved in one of the categories that you have selected in “Search Results” at System Preferences > Spotlight? Only selected categories will appear in search results. 

If they are, did you add and remove the folder where they are stored in Privacy? Removing the folder after adding it is often an overlooked step in the indexing process. 

Warmest Regards.

Jan 16, 2022 5:45 PM in response to mjlee

Keep all of those checkboxes in Spotlight settings turned on.

Where is this "current folder" that you keep referencing? I know that you've named it "spotlight search test", but the name doesn't matter. Where this folder is located is very important. There are many folders that are hidden by default. Maybe you are trying to use one of those.

All of the files you create should be in your "Documents" folder unless you have good reason to keep them elsewhere. You can make subdirectories inside Documents, but don't make new folders elsewhere unless you absolutely need to.

For example, I need to use lots of virtual machines that take 40-80 GB each. My Documents folder is on iCloud. I don't want to be continuously uploading 80 GB files to iCloud every day. Therefore, I keep my virtual machines in a folder named "Virtual Machines" in my home directory, but next to the "Documents" folder instead of inside it.

not all folders are indexed on MacOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.