Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to bypass silent

How can I get an emergency contact to ring through when my phone is on vibrate

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 9:38 AM

Okay, here is the other side. I missed this when I first read your post. To allow someone's call to sound when the phone is on silent and to allow sounds, you must go to that individual's contact card in your Contacts. Tap on Edit. When you tap on edit, go to the individual's ringtone and tap there. Scroll to the top of that page and there is a setting for Emergency Bypass. With that switch on, you will receive sounds from that caller even if the phone is on Mute or Do Not Disturb is on. Sorry for the confusion. Hope that answer's your question.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 9:38 AM in response to PhilK1950

Okay, here is the other side. I missed this when I first read your post. To allow someone's call to sound when the phone is on silent and to allow sounds, you must go to that individual's contact card in your Contacts. Tap on Edit. When you tap on edit, go to the individual's ringtone and tap there. Scroll to the top of that page and there is a setting for Emergency Bypass. With that switch on, you will receive sounds from that caller even if the phone is on Mute or Do Not Disturb is on. Sorry for the confusion. Hope that answer's your question.

Jan 15, 2022 4:37 PM in response to PhilK1950

To my knowledge, however I've never tried it, an emergency contact should ring through if you have identified them as an emergency contact on your Medical ID. I'll test it again in a moment and verify.

I had my son call me, and he is listed as an emergency contact and I had my iPhone on Mute. However, all I got was the vibration on my iPhone. Is this what you are asking, or is it that you are listed as an emergency contact for someone and you are wondering if you receive an emergency text for something like a fall or other 911 contact? A text is all you can receive under those circumstances.

how to bypass silent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.