Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi and ethernet config in macbook pro

wifi sign is greyed out with x sign inside it and I can not create a new wifi config when I go to network window. same thing for ethernet. hardware and network ports are working under safe mode

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 7:44 PM

"works in Safe Mode, fails in regular mode" suggests "It's something you added".

Top candidates are third-party anti-Virus (not needed on a mac if you are appropriately prudent), VPN, cleaner-uppers, optimizers, speeder-uppers and third-party file sync software that was porsted from another platform without being customized to macOS File system data structures.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2022 7:44 PM in response to mehrdadfromcalgary

"works in Safe Mode, fails in regular mode" suggests "It's something you added".

Top candidates are third-party anti-Virus (not needed on a mac if you are appropriately prudent), VPN, cleaner-uppers, optimizers, speeder-uppers and third-party file sync software that was porsted from another platform without being customized to macOS File system data structures.

Jan 16, 2022 10:30 AM in response to mehrdadfromcalgary

Another way to 'walk away from ALL your old settings' that does not require you to delete plist files:

Create a new named Network Location for each new place you visit, and include ONLY the network-names you intend to connect to and the settings you intend to use at that location:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Jan 16, 2022 10:25 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant for your response, I tried removing an cleaner application which I installed recently but it did not resolve the problem. I found solution through other threads from Tesserax as below:

"

Network-related .plist files are created automatically if deleted. They are specific for your device and cannot be downloaded.

The ones used for Wi-Fi are:

• com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
  • com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist
  • com.apple.wifi.message-tracer.plist
  • NetworkInterfaces.plist
  • preferences.plist

To access them:

• Finder > Go > Go To Folder
  • Enter: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
  • Click on Go.

I recommend that you move any that you find to your Mac's Desktop, and then, restart your Mac.

wifi and ethernet config in macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.