You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

zsh killed sudo --volume /Volumes/myvolume error on Monterey 12.1

zsh killed sudo --volume /Volumes/myvolume error on Monterey 12.1 on MacBook Pro. Has anyone had such an issue?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 3:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 2:22 AM

Yes impossible.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of High Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run High Sierra.

The Apple Licence of Use prohibits downgrading to a version of macOS Older than the version the computer Originally came installed With.

In this case the, M1 Computer is too New and does not qualify to run High Sierra.

Even if all one is attempting to make a Bootable Installer of High Sierra for other purposes.

The Solution is to get access to a qualifying Apple Computer that has run or qualifies to run High Sierra and make the Bootable Installer.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2022 2:22 AM in response to tt198

Yes impossible.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of High Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run High Sierra.

The Apple Licence of Use prohibits downgrading to a version of macOS Older than the version the computer Originally came installed With.

In this case the, M1 Computer is too New and does not qualify to run High Sierra.

Even if all one is attempting to make a Bootable Installer of High Sierra for other purposes.

The Solution is to get access to a qualifying Apple Computer that has run or qualifies to run High Sierra and make the Bootable Installer.

Jan 16, 2022 9:16 AM in response to tt198

There is no --volume option to sudo.

Generally following sudo is another command. What command did you really want to run?

PS. zsh, bash, ksh, sh, csh, tcsh, etc... do not have anything to do with the behavior of a specific command, especially sudo, so switching to zsh should have not had any effect on what you are doing.

Jan 16, 2022 9:30 AM in response to BobHarris

Thanks for reaching out.

I am trying to create a bootable usb for high Sierra..on the MacBook Pro using the instructions in the article.. that is the error I get..

this is the command I am trying to run.

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ High\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Jan 16, 2022 11:07 AM in response to tt198

I'm assuming the createinstallmedia utility itself is issuing the kill(getpid(),SIG_KILL); to itself.

It happens to me on my M1 Max system.

I say it is killing itself, as there is not monitor utility that goes around issuing the SIG_KILL, and it is not the kind of signal that gets triggered by doing something except issuing the kill() call.

zsh killed sudo --volume /Volumes/myvolume error on Monterey 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.