Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Items in my sidebar disappear after a few days

I regularly put folders in my sidebar because I frequently use them. Yet most of these items disappear from the sidebar after a few days. And then I have to go through my whole folder-structure in the Finder to get where I want to be. The sidebar used to be stable: what I put there would be there until I removed it. What happened to this? Why does Apple no longer support this crucial feature? How can I restore it. I am currently using Monterey, 12.1, but the bug (as I see it) also occurred in the previous system. I am on a MacBook Pro 13', with M1 (but it also occurred since a year on my previous MacBook Pro).

Can someone please help. Is there perhaps a Unix way to deal with it on the Terminal?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 9:32 AM

robvangerwen wrote:

I regularly put folders in my sidebar because I frequently use them. Yet most of these items disappear from the sidebar after a few days. And then I have to go through my whole folder-structure in the Finder to get where I want to be. The sidebar used to be stable: what I put there would be there until I removed it. What happened to this? Why does Apple no longer support this crucial feature? How can I restore it. I am currently using Monterey, 12.1, but the bug (as I see it) also occurred in the previous system. I am on a MacBook Pro 13', with M1 (but it also occurred since a year on my previous MacBook Pro).

Can someone please help. Is there perhaps a Unix way to deal with it on the Terminal?

Sounds like a corrupt plist....delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

Rebuild your sidebar and see if it sticks.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 9:32 AM in response to robvangerwen

robvangerwen wrote:

Sounds like a corrupt plist....delete the com.apple.finder.plist

Found here Finder>Go>Go to Folder copy and paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Relaunch your Finder from the >Force Quit>Finder>Relaunch

Rebuild your sidebar and see if it sticks.

Jan 27, 2022 3:46 AM in response to leroydouglas

I cheered too quickly. Your solution worked for ten day, and since this morning I am back at square one. Only 9 items remain in my sidebar, instead of the approx. 20 I regularly use. So, I think the com.apple.finder.plist is corrupted again.

Something is doing the corrupting, do you have any idea how I could deal with this?

When I migrated to my new laptop I did a fresh install of the system software and all of the applications I use.

This failing sidebar is such a nuisance. By the way, I also noticed that I cannot jump from a folder to its parent folder by way of command-arrow-up, when the folder is based on an alias in a self-made "sidebar" (a folder with links to regularly used folders). If I do command-arrow-up when in such a folder, in the Finder (!), I am transported to the top level of Macintosh HD.

In the Terminal the folder structure is normally accessible with % cd ../

Items in my sidebar disappear after a few days

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.