Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder continually loses my placed Favorites, and open folder locations

Upgraded to MacOS Monterey 12.1. - Since the upgrade, my favorite aliases keep dropping off my Finder sidebar. I have tried reboots, replacing the preferences, but nothing takes. They stay in place for a week then <<poof>> gone. Have been unable to find any post that remedies this issue.

I don't have to reboot for it to happen. I can walk away, come back and all open Finder windows that were open to job folders have reverted to a locations window, and all Favorites are gone.

Tried deleting the com.apple.finder.plist, then relaunch... works for a while, but eventually does it again.

I cleaned caches, which is a pain, but it eventually happened again.

Only thing I haven't tried is reinstalling the OS, I am hoping there will be an upgrade soon that will fix it.

Temporary fix is putting folder aliases on my desktop. When it happens, those stay in place, but the open folder related to it has reverted to Locations list.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2022 10:24 PM

Hey mojohook!

I would only Reinstall the OS if the issue still happens in another user account:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

And likewise, if the issue also happens in Safe Mode:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Hope the update fixes it though! Path of least resistance!

Similar questions

3 replies

Finder continually loses my placed Favorites, and open folder locations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.