Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers unable to open excel file in Monterey 12.1

Both excel and Numbers unable to open excel file in Monterey 12.1

anyone have a solution?

MacBook Pro 15″, 12.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 11:29 AM

If it says "downloading" it is NOT stored on your local drive. That is also why you can't make a copy of it... it does not exist locally.

Where, EXACTLY, do you think it is on your local drive?

If you have iCloud documents and desktop enabled, it may have been offloaded to provide space. Ditto if you have it stored in a OneDrive folder.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 11:29 AM in response to Diver2go2

If it says "downloading" it is NOT stored on your local drive. That is also why you can't make a copy of it... it does not exist locally.

Where, EXACTLY, do you think it is on your local drive?

If you have iCloud documents and desktop enabled, it may have been offloaded to provide space. Ditto if you have it stored in a OneDrive folder.

Jan 18, 2022 1:04 PM in response to Diver2go2

Curious. Does Quick Look stop working for you also? Lately I've been having issues with documents in iCloud. Attempting to preview the file in Quick Look doesn't work; it brings up the generic window with a small thumbnail or generic icon (see attached).

At one point a week or so back, while fighting with this issue, I noticed that I was getting a very delayed error from Office products (if I attempted to double-click and open from Finder). Today, no error message at all in Office products. Attempted to open directly from Word, and the dialog box wouldn't allow me to click on open.

Also, if I attempt to download the file from iCloud, it fails.

I have no idea what's going on, but it's driving me nuts. I suspect you're encountering the same issues I am.

Jan 16, 2022 10:24 AM in response to Diver2go2

Diver2go2 wrote:

I tried several files, including numbers files. They all say downloading, and goes no further.

The " say downloading, and goes no further." tends to indicate problem downloading, not opening since it appears the files not got to the stage of trying to open.

Where are you downloading them from>

Can you successfully just download files from that location?

Numbers unable to open excel file in Monterey 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.