Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scrambled messages on MacBook Pro

If I type a message on my computer and then edit it, inserting a word or phrase, that which I have edited repeats in odd places, scrambling my message. Or when I edit a word, an apostrophe replaces or is added to the edited word. Has this happened to anyone out there? I am using Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 11:12 AM

I have the same experience. I am using Big Sur with my MacBook Air, but the same thing happens when I use Messages on my iPhone 6. It only happens when I am editing a fairly lengthy text. When I edit (backspace, cut and paste, delete forward), I notice that apostrophes (first) and then eventually my previously typed words and phrases just pop into random places. I have eventually just given up, deleted the whole message, composed it in a text app, and pasted it back into messages. This happens very often, but I can't make it happen at will, like right now, as I try to pay attention and diagnose. But it most definitely happens!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 11:12 AM in response to mmeursie

I have the same experience. I am using Big Sur with my MacBook Air, but the same thing happens when I use Messages on my iPhone 6. It only happens when I am editing a fairly lengthy text. When I edit (backspace, cut and paste, delete forward), I notice that apostrophes (first) and then eventually my previously typed words and phrases just pop into random places. I have eventually just given up, deleted the whole message, composed it in a text app, and pasted it back into messages. This happens very often, but I can't make it happen at will, like right now, as I try to pay attention and diagnose. But it most definitely happens!

Jan 17, 2022 1:05 PM in response to mmeursie

Hello mmeursie,

From what you've shared it sounds like you're experiencing issues typing on your Mac. We'd like to get some details that may help facilitate additional replies from the Community. Please share the following:

• Does this happen in all apps, or just a specific one? Share all effected.
  • Does this behavior occur in safe mode? How to use safe mode on your Mac
  • Have you taken any steps to help isolate the behavior?

Regards.

scrambled messages on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.