Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove files in the "Other" section?

I have over 60 gigabytes that are showing in the "Other" file when I try to manage my storage. But I am having a hard time accessing the folder to remove anything in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I cannot download new system updates or other programs until this problem is fixed. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 6:27 AM

The operating system owns and manages the content in the Other category. Apple has an article about this in See used and available storage space on your Mac. In particular, here is an excerpt about Other:

14 replies

Jan 17, 2022 7:17 AM in response to amazen1982

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Jan 17, 2022 8:11 AM in response to amazen1982

After exhausting the options presented in the first two replies - tend to agree with the posting just above this reply.

A Wipe and Clean install is an option but should be carefully explored before attempting.

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase.

At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Jan 17, 2022 9:57 AM in response to amazen1982

The drive needs to the wiped first as per below # 1 for Intel Computer or # 2 for Apple Silicon Computer

# 3 below is for reinstallation on Apple Silicon Computer

If Intel computer use step provide by previous posting

# 1 - Use Disk Utility to erase an Intel-based Mac if Intel Computer

or

# 2 - Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon

Below is for Reinstallation for Apple Silicon M1 computer

# 3 Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon

Jan 19, 2022 1:58 PM in response to RogierDG

Specifically the OP was responding to the idea if the " Wipe and Reinstallation " posting wherein P. Phillips was marked as

" Helpful "

OP asked " OK. Thanks. How do I do that? "

Without directly citing the method offered by next persons reply as being less that totally correct wherein the cited Link How to reinstall macOS only gives instructions to Reinstall the OS. This it is felt was missing the aspect of the Wipe then Reinstall.

Without Wiping the drive First and Only Reinstalling the OS, ( an In Place installation ) will not achieve that which the OP was originally requesting instructions to perform.

Jan 17, 2022 8:29 AM in response to RogierDG

since memory became inexpensive. 

Actually, we are discussing storage space here - memory (or RAM) has nothing to do with it. And, storage space is not expandable, so one needs to keep an eye on it. The OS needs to have space to function properly - on an SSD, that should be a minimum of 20 - 25 GB empty space at all times. If you were to fill up the storage, your computer would stop functioning.

Jan 17, 2022 9:48 AM in response to babowa

Well be it memory or storage, the point is that, as well as other software developers, Apple developers are not doing a good job at managing their cleanup, and hence storage or memory usage increases over time.

So the only way to get out of that is to use Cleaner software (not recommended), buy a new computer (Apple preferred) or do a Clean Install.

Jan 19, 2022 1:43 PM in response to RogierDG

storage or memory

Those two are two entirely different things and processes.

memory usage increases over time.

It is Random Access Memory and increases or decreases depending on the task and/or app. It does NOT "increase over time".

storage usage increases over time.

Of course, storage space changes every time you save a file or do anything at all. If you add 1 million photos, you may run out of space. Except for system files/processes which you no longer have access to (since they are now on a read only volume), handling storage space is your responsibility.

And Macs have handled "cleaning" very well; no such nonsense is needed on a Mac.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 19, 2022 1:46 PM in response to babowa

Dear Mr Babowa,

I do not know what your IT experience is, but i am in the business since the mid 1960's.

You should know that memory usage depends on the running of programs loaded together with their cached support files, and if these are not maintained well, memory usage increases using the program.

As for the storage, if programs do not clean their temporary usage files, storage usage increases also, and they are not exclusively in the systems part of the system, and there is no way to remove them without a cleaner program or going in yourself via Finder (good luck!)

Claiming that Apple does a good job, maybe, compared to other system providers, but just look at trashing an app, how many auxillary files are left behind ? Do a search with Easyfind or Find Any File on their name or developper name and you will see what is left behind and never cleaned.

Look also in this forum how well Mail is cleaning up his downloads, it is not.

There are many places in the libraries other than system, where lots of files are left behind and just growing over time, and over several system updates.

I found a lot of package files (PKG) in hidden libraries (not system) that were never deleted after installation, I found copies of personal image files once used as screensaver that were still in hidden folders (not system) even after deleting them out of my documents. I qualify this as bad cleanup !

Do a Clean Install with all of your current programs and personal files just to restore your system as it was, and see how much "Other" space you save.

I hope you will provide better contributions to this forum in the futur.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 17, 2022 12:35 PM in response to PRP_53

Mr. Phillips,

I do not see in your post what is different from the Apple article I referenced. I suppose the OP can read and understand this and can even display it in his or her own language if required.

Is it just to have the last word ?

I do not doubt that you have contibuted a lot to many posts in this forum, but sometimes I have the impression you just post for the purpose of posting. This is disturbing when one tries to "follow" a conversation, because it clobbers my mail with useless comments.

You seem to be omni present in this forum often with very outspoken opinions which I do not always share, or I think are not always backed by real own experience.

I have the impression this holds off some other users to share their experience.

Please take no offence for me just writing this, but you do not need to be level 8, 9 or 10 to have a lot of experience and make usefull contributions to this forum. And by the way I do not care about levels and points, I leave that up to y'all.

How can I remove files in the "Other" section?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.