Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my software update saying I need the update to open the update?

Hello, I am trying to download Microsoft Word on my Macbook Pro and it said I need to first have software update MacOS 10.5 and I just tried to download the software update MacOS 10.5.5 but it's saying I can't open the software without MacOS 10.5...

I'm confused, I'm trying to download the update, how would I already have it to open the update?

If anyone has any ideas, I would really apprechiate it!

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 5:04 PM

You need the full macOS installer in order to actually upgrade macOS to a newer major version of macOS. What you downloaded is just a patch for macOS 10.15 which won't work on if you are running a pre-macOS 10.15 OS.

It would help to know the exact model of your Mac (and current version of macOS) so that we can confirm your Mac is even capable of running a later version of macOS and if so which later version(s). You can get the exact model by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". Here is an article which has charts to tell you which versions of macOS are compatible with various model Macs:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

If your Mac is compatible with a later version of macOS such as 10.15 Catalina, then you can find links to the various macOS installers contained within this Apple article which also includes optional instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I highly recommend you first make sure you have a good backup before you even attempt to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong during the upgrade.

FYI, you should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media which contains important & unique data.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2022 5:04 PM in response to usernamebecca

You need the full macOS installer in order to actually upgrade macOS to a newer major version of macOS. What you downloaded is just a patch for macOS 10.15 which won't work on if you are running a pre-macOS 10.15 OS.

It would help to know the exact model of your Mac (and current version of macOS) so that we can confirm your Mac is even capable of running a later version of macOS and if so which later version(s). You can get the exact model by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". Here is an article which has charts to tell you which versions of macOS are compatible with various model Macs:

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

If your Mac is compatible with a later version of macOS such as 10.15 Catalina, then you can find links to the various macOS installers contained within this Apple article which also includes optional instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

I highly recommend you first make sure you have a good backup before you even attempt to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong during the upgrade.

FYI, you should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media which contains important & unique data.

Jan 17, 2022 3:01 PM in response to usernamebecca

Back up your data, check your applications for compatibility, and if your MacBook Pro is a 2012 or newer model, click on Catalina. The download you found is an updater and can't be used for a full-version upgrade.

Catalina and newer won't run 32-bit software; download and use Go64 to scan for it. To check other programs, click here and look them up.

(212281)

Why is my software update saying I need the update to open the update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.