Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1

Hello. I have been spending the last few weeks trying to overcome an issue with MacOS installing packages. My Mac keeps saying com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1 when trying to install a software package. I have completely wiped my macOS Monterey installation (clean install) to try and resolve this issue but it did not resolve it. I encountered this issue after getting hit with some Mac malware that wiped out my Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (ATP) security software and created this page controller issue. My permissions say in Disk Utility First Aid that everything is good but when trying to modify permissions, I constantly receive a permissions denied even with root user and in recovery mode. I am not sure what else to do to resolve this issue. I am running latest version of macOS Monterey on a 2021 M1 Pro 14inch MacBook Pro. I have seen reports of people facing the issue in older versions of OSX but nothing for this latest version. Does anyone know of this issue and how to resolve it?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 12:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 2:21 AM

MAPE15 wrote:

I see what you wrote about 3rd party software interference. However, I pay for Defender for Endpoint and want to use it on my Mac. I am having issue getting it installed due the package error and from the mac malware I got that neither ATP or macOS built in protection stopped. I have already done a clean install of macOS. Macs are not immune to viruses and zero day malware that are advanced persistent threats. I am trying to find assistance with Microsoft and apple community to try and repair my macOS issue.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

So in effect one is paying for a Non Existent Issue affecting macOS. The Only protection this or similar software is the Developers Bank Account.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer and may offer insight on defending the computer from Malware / Adware and other dodgy scams and such, presented everywhere on the Internet.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 2:21 AM in response to MAPE15

MAPE15 wrote:

I see what you wrote about 3rd party software interference. However, I pay for Defender for Endpoint and want to use it on my Mac. I am having issue getting it installed due the package error and from the mac malware I got that neither ATP or macOS built in protection stopped. I have already done a clean install of macOS. Macs are not immune to viruses and zero day malware that are advanced persistent threats. I am trying to find assistance with Microsoft and apple community to try and repair my macOS issue.

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

So in effect one is paying for a Non Existent Issue affecting macOS. The Only protection this or similar software is the Developers Bank Account.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer and may offer insight on defending the computer from Malware / Adware and other dodgy scams and such, presented everywhere on the Internet.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

Jan 18, 2022 2:11 AM in response to PRP_53

Jan 18, 2022 3:02 AM in response to PRP_53

I only agree with some of what the built in security guy mentioned. I understand your points. It is why an AV is considered recommended and not required on a Mac. If macs couldn’t get viruses these companies wouldn’t sell any of their software for macs and be sued for fraud.

https://www.kaspersky.com/resource-center/preemptive-safety/can-macbooks-get-viruses

https://www.pensar.co.uk/blog/are-macs-more-secure-than-pcs

com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.