Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.)

I just installed Mac OS X 10.5 on two Macs bought from Goodwill. I'm trying to update them to 10.11 every time I try to install the "InstallMacOSX.pkg I get that error message on both computers. I've tried unplugging for 15 seconds, plugging back in, waiting for 5 seconds and trying again. That did not work. I tried going into Safe Mode and installing there, that did not work either. Any help would be appreciated.

By the way one iMac is an Early 2008 the other is a 2007

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 9:59 AM

Hi Joe, You need to install 10.6.8 first...

You can upgrade to OS X El Capitan from OS X Snow Leopard or later on any of the following Mac models. Your Mac also needs at least 2GB of memory and 8.8GB of available storage space.

MacBook introduced in 2009 or later, plus MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)

MacBook Air introduced in late 2008 or later

MacBook Pro introduced in mid 2007 or later

Mac mini introduced in early 2009 or later

iMac introduced in mid 2007 or later

Mac Pro introduced in early 2008 or later

Xserve models introduced in early 2009

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 9:59 AM in response to joebroke

Hi Joe, You need to install 10.6.8 first...

You can upgrade to OS X El Capitan from OS X Snow Leopard or later on any of the following Mac models. Your Mac also needs at least 2GB of memory and 8.8GB of available storage space.

MacBook introduced in 2009 or later, plus MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)

MacBook Air introduced in late 2008 or later

MacBook Pro introduced in mid 2007 or later

Mac mini introduced in early 2009 or later

iMac introduced in mid 2007 or later

Mac Pro introduced in early 2008 or later

Xserve models introduced in early 2009

Jan 15, 2020 10:43 AM in response to joebroke

Ah, this is always a “fun” mess.

Old (used) Macs can be flaky, and old disks can (and do) fail, memory sticks can be pillaged, parts are scarce, and old OS X software can variously be difficult to get. And OS X this far back will have increasing problems just making secure network connections, and with getting copies of apps that’ll still work.

Swap the hard disk. I’d probably scrounge and pre-emptively swap for a newer hard disk here (3.0 Gbps SATA), though I usually go for SSD. To HDD and not SSD here because of the age and likely longevity of these old iMacs, and the unknown state of the hardware. Not spending much, here... Not until these are known to be working,

I’d suggest running the hardware test, but you won’t have the installation disks.

Use a second (third) Mac to build a bootable installer with El Capitan. (iMac from 2007 and 2008 should be able to boot that, as was mentioned.) Transfer that installer to these old Macs, wipe, and try booting it.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.installer.pagecontroller error -1.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.