Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2015 Battery not fully chargeable

1) Replaced original Battery with same type of battery

Device: MacBook Pro 15" mid 2015, OS X 10.15.7

• changed battery
  • SMC reset
  • NVRAM Reset
  • charged battery 6 hours:

Result:

New Battery is only chargeable up to 72%

Running Macbook til it switches off max 4 hour (full brightness, sound and TV program playing)

switched off without a warning (normally you get a warning, low battery)

-> repeated this procedure with the same result

2) took another new battery

Used same procedure like 1)

Result:

2nd new battery charged up to 100%

Running Macbook til it switches off max 4 hour (full brightness, sound and TV program playing)

switched off without warning at a level of a charging level of 38%

Normally after each battery-replacement I test the MacBook with the procedure I mentioned.

-> A MacBook then normally runs between 7-8hours.

Does anybody have an idea what's wrong with this MacBook (battery health switched off).

-> I would not like the idea to replace the SMC chip or replace the logic board

Thanks for your support

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 3:50 AM

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro battery with Apple Diagnostics if it reports battery related errors.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 20, 2022 11:00 PM in response to kaz-k

Thanks for your suggestions

• apple diagnostic showed no error (forgot to mentioned it in my first post)
  • battery (186 charching cycle) still can not be fully charged
  • MacBook switched off charging indicator on macsafe connector is blinking orange
  • MacBook switched on charging indicator on macsafe connector remains orange

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your support

Jan 21, 2022 6:15 PM in response to Bolanz

Unfortunately the quality of third party Lithium-ion batteries are extremely poor even when purchased from a reputable vendor such as OWC or iFixIt. If you are using a third party battery I would personally go with one from OWC. Some third party batteries may require calibration, but I'm not certain of the procedure.

I always recommend getting an official Apple battery repair whenever possible because an Apple OEM Battery is much more reliable and is a good investment if you intend to keep the laptop. However, once you have removed the glued in Battery, then Apple will likely refuse to service the laptop (or they may charge a lot more for the part).

FYI, don't just go randomly replacing components on the circuit board. If you are going to replace components on the Logic Board, then read the schematics and test the appropriate circuits to locate the fault before replacing circuit components. There is a popular YouTube guy who shows Apple board repairs and he shows how many "techs" don't properly read the schematics and understand the circuits so those other "techs" remove the large parts, when all that was needed was a small capacitor or resistor (he repairs boards other "techs" have failed with big time).

Also, I have seen some of our organization's older laptops stop charging the battery (Apple OEM original) at exactly 72%. If I disconnect the charger & reconnect it, then the battery will continue charging to 100%. I have no idea why, but it has occurred with multiple laptops, but not all the laptops of the same series and it does not happen all the time to those laptops.

MacBook Pro 2015 Battery not fully chargeable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.