Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro M1 wrong keyboard!

All of a sudden, my keyboard seems to have switched languages! The physical keyboard is Japanese but when I type, it's as though I'm using a US keyboard. For example, when I press shift and 8, I get an asterisk instead of a left parenthesis. The apostrophe above the 7, when I press shift and 7, gets me the & symbol. I have a Japanese keyboard with the alphabet and small Japanese characters on each key. I have toggled with System Prefs / Keyboard / Input, nothing works. (Japanese - Romaji, Japanese - Kana, U.S., and U.S. International PC). Rebooting and signing out/in doesn't fix it. Please help!

Additional info: System Language is English as it always has been. System Pref/Input Sources/Japanese-Romaji only.

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 5:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 7:31 AM

You machine seems to have forgotten the keyboard "type", thinking it is ANSI or ISO instead of the correct JIS. See if these help:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/specify-a-keyboard-type-mchlp2886/12.0/mac/12.0

https://m10lmac.blogspot.com/2009/12/fixing-keyboard-type-problems.html

2 replies

Jan 18, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Tom Gewecke! I want to kiss the ground that you walk.

Your advice got me to dig further, and I was able to fix it. I trashed the keyboardservices plist (keyboardtype is no more) and created a Virtual Keyboard with the Country Code 15 using Karabiner Elements. Voila!

There's so much hype about the MacBook 14 inch M1 and Monterey, but I've found mine taking up so much of my time getting things to work the way it's supposed to and finding workarounds with things that were there but not anymore.

Domo arigato again.

Macbook pro M1 wrong keyboard!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.