Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while trying to update Apple ID

When I try and update my current Apple ID with my @icloud.com email (which is a separate account) I get an error.

"You can only add the @icloud.com address that is already on file in your account"

Can I find out what @icloud.com address is "already on file in your account" ?

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 10:21 AM

Apple ID - Manage

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2022 10:21 AM in response to markatdvcrc

Apple ID - Manage

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Error while trying to update Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.