Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting into Monterey on external SSD

I have an external SSD with the current version of Monterey, which I can use to boot my 2019 Intel MBP. The system was installed from the Intel Mac. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can use this same external SSD to boot into an M1 MBP, assuming I've reduced the security settings in Recovery.

Thanks very much for any guidance.

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 6:42 AM

The answer is no. I have Monterey installed on an NVME disk on my 2013 MacPro. I connected it to my 2020 M1 MacBook Air.

It was recognized as a startup disk, and when I selected it to be the startup disk it asked for credentials for users on the NVME disk,. I entered those and then got message that the the NVME installation was not compatible and that I had to reinstall macOS via Recovery. I declined that and unselect the VME disk as startup, ejected the NVME disk and reconnected. it to my MacPro and the MacPro still works fine.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 6:42 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

The answer is no. I have Monterey installed on an NVME disk on my 2013 MacPro. I connected it to my 2020 M1 MacBook Air.

It was recognized as a startup disk, and when I selected it to be the startup disk it asked for credentials for users on the NVME disk,. I entered those and then got message that the the NVME installation was not compatible and that I had to reinstall macOS via Recovery. I declined that and unselect the VME disk as startup, ejected the NVME disk and reconnected. it to my MacPro and the MacPro still works fine.

Booting into Monterey on external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.