Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to all my TM backups?

Been working just fine. Had like 6 months.

Just now I noticed it has been churning away longer than usual.

Look at the TM drive.

The ONLY backup shown is 2022-01-17..

Nothing has changed on my computer in weeks.

No messing with system stuff or hardware.

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 8:45 PM

8 replies

Jan 27, 2022 5:27 PM in response to Chris CA

Just wanted to offer you a few articles and troubleshooting tips that I have been using for Time Machine backup issues.

Both of these articles are an excellent source of information to really give you an idea of what goes on "behind the scenes" during the TM backup process:

Although the second article refers to macOS Catalina, it is still valid with macOS Monterey.

FWIW, I have found the Mints app invaluable in troubleshooting TM. I used to do this via commands in Terminal, but the app makes this far easier. Hopefully, it will shed some light on what's going on with TM on your Mac. Basically, I have found TM to have become less reliable since macOS Sierra. Initially, with just backups to the Time Capsule, but now with directly attached drives as well. So far, TM backups to my Synology NAS has been "rock solid." As such, although I continue to use TM, I rely on other backup tools (like Carbon Copy Cloner) in addition.

Jan 19, 2022 2:55 AM in response to lllaass

Yes it shows backup disk

Yes it shows in Finder

Yes I can enter TM.

I stopped it the restarted it and it shows Changed 18,945,623 items. (and counting) This seems to be new in Monterey.

It shows 43% progress. Currently backed up like 224GB.

It an 8TB drive

Backups.backups b is about 990GB

There is about another 222GB in another folder

The drive shows 516GB available.

So it seems the previous data is still there on the drive but not showing in Finder or in TM

What happened to all my TM backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.