Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login Screen timing out too quickly

How do I adjust the screen timeout for just the login screen? I have a monitor that wakes up VERY slowly. When I connect my macbook to my dock my macbook wakes up, then before the monitor actually begins displaying the content the macbook goes back to sleep, causing my monitor to go back to sleep. I have to sit there hitting a key over and over for a good 15 seconds, and then delete those keystrokes once the display finally comes up.

If I could change the timeout for my login screen to 1 minute or so it would solve the problem I can't find any information on how to do this.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 7:49 AM

Similar questions

12 replies

Jan 19, 2022 8:25 AM in response to jb_221

jb_221 wrote:

How do I adjust the screen timeout for just the login screen? I have a monitor that wakes up VERY slowly. When I connect my macbook to my dock my macbook wakes up, then before the monitor actually begins displaying the content the macbook goes back to sleep, causing my monitor to go back to sleep. I have to sit there hitting a key over and over for a good 15 seconds, and then delete those keystrokes once the display finally comes up.

If I could change the timeout for my login screen to 1 minute or so it would solve the problem I can't find any information on how to do this.

AFAIK - until the Log In has been achieved - then and only then does the OS actually load and any Setting the user has enacted come into play. That being 5 minutes before the screen will dim or for that matter go to sleep

EDITED Wed Jan 19, 2022 @ 11:25 EST - correct spellings

Jan 21, 2022 10:21 AM in response to --hi

It happens every time, but again the big issue here isn't the macbook outputting the video fast enough, it's my monitor takes an insane amount of time to begin displaying the video. I had to adjust the login screen timeout on my PC as well and that took editing registry values to make the option appear.

I'll look into trying P Phillips' suggestion and if that doesn't work I'll probably just deal with the inconvenience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Much appreciation for the assistance.

Jan 19, 2022 8:18 AM in response to jb_221

You can change that in System Preferences, then Energy Saver. Click on the lock, and put in the admin password. After that, where it says "Turn display off after:" , next to it there is a slider that you can change how long the MacBook will have the display on before it goes to sleep.

Jan 19, 2022 3:06 PM in response to RogierDG

The screen timeout option has no effect on the timeout when you're on the login screen, FYI. I have mine set to 15 minutes and at the login screen still times out in about 20 seconds.

Edit: I timed it and it's actually 30 seconds. It's ridiculous that my dock/monitor take longer than 30 seconds from connection to video but it's equally ridiculous that there is no way to adjust this variable.

Jan 20, 2022 6:41 AM in response to jb_221

Suggestion and do not know for certain if this will work so proceed with caution.

What may need to be accessed is the SMC which would come into play even before the OS is booted

In the terminal Application run this command without quotation marks " man pmset " This will list many different switches to alter the SMC behaviour right from the moment the computer is turned on.

pmset can modify the values of any of the power management settings defined below

SETTINGS

displaysleep - display sleep timer; replaces 'dim' argument in 10.4 (value

in minutes, or 0 to disable)

disksleep - disk spindown timer; replaces 'spindown' argument in 10.4

(value in minutes, or 0 to disable)

sleep - system sleep timer (value in minutes, or 0 to disable)

womp - wake on ethernet magic packet (value = 0/1). Same as "Wake for

network access" in the Energy Saver preferences.

ring - wake on modem ring (value = 0/1)

powernap - enable/disable Power Nap on supported machines (value = 0/1)

proximitywake - On supported systems, this option controls system wake from

sleep based on proximity of devices using same iCloud id. (value = 0/1)

autorestart - automatic restart on power loss (value = 0/1)

:

Login Screen timing out too quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.