Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login screen appears on wrong monitor

Hi everyone,

I hope anyone has a solution for the following problem. I already found the very old thread, regarding the same problem, but the solution doesn't work.

So I recently got my Mac Studio and my Studio Display. I have several Monitors connected to the Mac Studio: The Studio Display via Thunderbolt and configured as the main display, and a second one at my digital piano a few meters away via the built in HDMI on the Mac Studio.

As already mentioned, the Studio Display is set as the main display and the second Monitor as an extension. Everything is fine during normal work. But if I boot or restart the Mac Studio the Studio Display keeps black and the login screen appears on the second monitor. After the login the Studio Display is the main monitor again.

So it looks like that the built in HDMI is prioritized as long as a monitor is connected to it. I already tried to disconnect the 2nd monitor from power but that's not enough. I have to pull out the HDMI cable from the monitor to see the login screen on the Studio Display.

Is there any way to tell macOS that the Studio Display is the "Master" where the login screen has to be displayed?! It's really annoying.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Forgot: The system is running with macOS Monterey 12.4

Mac Studio

Posted on May 25, 2022 9:01 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jul 3, 2022 11:53 AM in response to Mac-Trek

Discovered something new today. I have a third monitor via an USB-C to HDMI Adapter connected to the Mac Studio. Most of the time the power is off until I need the monitor. Today I switched the monitor on before I hit the power button on the Mac Studio and guess what: Now the login screen appeared on that monitor instead on the Studio Display. This behavior is driving me nuts! Isn't there any solution to tell macOS AND the Boot menu to use the Studio Display as the main Display?!

Jul 4, 2022 2:07 AM in response to Mac-Trek

A user in an another forum gave me the final hint to this Login-Riddle (thanks again Maniacintosh). Like him I am using two accounts on my Mac Studio. An Adminaccount for maintenance and a Standarduser which I work the most time with. So I confiugred my monitors just with the Standardaccount.

The solution was actually very simple: I had to login to my Adminaccount to configure the monitors the same way as in the Standardaccount and that's it. After a fresh boot or a reboot the login screen finally appears on my configured main monitor.

May 26, 2022 9:37 AM in response to Mac-Trek

Hello Mac-Trek,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

Let's check to make sure your Apple Studio Display is up-to-date with the latest firmware to see if that could be related to what you're experiencing. For assistance with this, check out the steps below and additional information can be found here: What’s new in firmware updates for Apple Studio Display - Apple Support

Update your display

To update your Studio Display, you need a Mac with macOS 12.3 or later.

1. From the Apple menu  in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences.

2. In the System Preferences window, click Software Update.

3. If a firmware update is available for your display, click Update Now to begin downloading the update.

4. When the update is ready to be installed, click Restart in the notification that appears in the upper-right corner of your display.

5. Don't unplug your display while the update is in progress. While it's updating, you might see an ellipsis icon , a message asking you not to unplug the display, or a blank screen. 

If you're up-to-date with the latest firmware, check that the Thunderbolt cable that came with the display is plugged into the port closest to the stand. If this is the case, Contact Apple Support to look into this with you in more detail.

Have a great day!

Jul 4, 2022 8:14 AM in response to BobHarris

@BobHarris: Your solution works only if you're working with an Adminaccount only. I am only working with a Standarduser and after the login everything was arranged as it should be. Bur for a fresh Boot or Restart it seems that the system uses the configuration of an Adminaccount for the Loginscreen. So I had to configure all the monitors with the Adminaccount as well to have the login on the right monitor.

Jul 4, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Mac-Trek

When I login to a "Standard" account, I am still able to grab the menu bar representation in the Display System Preferences and move it to the screen I want as the primary.

Also in Monterey, I can also select the option to use as the "Main Display" or as and "Extended Display" which effectively does the same thing.

Again, I did this logged in as a Standard user, on Monterey 12.4

Login screen appears on wrong monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.