Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad charging port only charges with Apple charger

Hi! I've had my iPad Pro (5th gen, 12.9 in) for about 2 months now and I'm running into this issue where it will only reliably charge through an Apple charger. I really like using 3ft chargers so I got one with a USB-C port and it won't charge through the main port. Non-Apple chargers will *sometimes* work through my Magic Keyboard port, but it's still hit or miss.

When I plug in the non-Apple chargers, the iPad will briefly show the charging symbol, but then will say "Not Charging" a few moments later.

Sure, I could just stick with my Apple charger but I'd love it to work universally! Please advise.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 1:46 AM

Your USB Power Adapter spec’s may indicate that it has the ability to output 3A@5W, however, the iPad can only draw 2.4A@5V.

Your iPad Pro supports USB PD (Power Delivery) - which increases the maximum charging rate of iPad (with a compatible USB PD Power Adapter) to 18W (2.0A @9V or 1.5A @12V).

Your iPad will see no benefit from a standard USB Power Adapter that can supply high current.

If your iPad Pro charges normally using the Power Adapter that was supplied with your iPad (usually a 20W USB PD), then your issue lies with either your third-party Power Adapter or your cables.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 1:46 AM in response to tmontes99

Your USB Power Adapter spec’s may indicate that it has the ability to output 3A@5W, however, the iPad can only draw 2.4A@5V.

Your iPad Pro supports USB PD (Power Delivery) - which increases the maximum charging rate of iPad (with a compatible USB PD Power Adapter) to 18W (2.0A @9V or 1.5A @12V).

Your iPad will see no benefit from a standard USB Power Adapter that can supply high current.

If your iPad Pro charges normally using the Power Adapter that was supplied with your iPad (usually a 20W USB PD), then your issue lies with either your third-party Power Adapter or your cables.

Jan 19, 2022 9:20 AM in response to tmontes99

Your iPad requires at least 12W (i.e., 2.4A @5V) to reliably charge. Both your iPad and supplied Power Adapter support USB PD Fast Charging at 18W (i.e., 2.0A @9V or 1.5A @12V).

Many third-party Power Adapters, intended for other hardware platforms, may not be USB PD compliant - and may instead use incompatible proprietary charging standards. In such cases, the Power Adapter may only charge the iPad very slowly, if at all.

iPad charging port only charges with Apple charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.