Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Once iPhotos library has been migrated to Photo app, can that file be deleted without losing any photos?

I need to free up space on my MacBook Air and want to delete the migrated iPhoto library. Migrated iPhoto library shows 20 GB, but Photos app says only 2+GB being used. How could iPhotos have all migrated if new app has 18GB less space used? Please advise.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 9:51 AM

When you convert an iPhoto Library into a Photos Library, the original files are not "copied" instead they are "hard linked" this means that the OS sees them as separate files, but they actually share the same space on the hard drive. Because of this, when you delete your iPhoto Library, you will not reclaim nearly as much space as you think, since that space is still being used by the Photos Library.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 9:51 AM in response to dhdowning987

When you convert an iPhoto Library into a Photos Library, the original files are not "copied" instead they are "hard linked" this means that the OS sees them as separate files, but they actually share the same space on the hard drive. Because of this, when you delete your iPhoto Library, you will not reclaim nearly as much space as you think, since that space is still being used by the Photos Library.

Jan 19, 2022 3:50 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks for your reply. It looks like you're saying that I CAN delete the iPhoto library, but are you saying that it won't free up as much space as it says, in this case, 20+GB, OR will it not really free up any space at all? Why was the migrated library presented as though its deletion would help free up space if it actually wouldn't? - not that you work for Apple, but just trying to understand. Thanks again.

Jan 19, 2022 3:59 PM in response to dhdowning987

An iPhoto library contains the original photos and this is the largest portion if it. It also contains database files, thumbnails and previews as well as caches. When you delete the Library the originals (shared with Photos) are not deleted. What space you regain is that which was taken up by the thumbnails etc. The is space regained, just not as much as folks expect. Why? Well this was all discussed more than 6 years ago when iPhoto was replaced by Photos. My memory is misty. Search the forum.

Once iPhotos library has been migrated to Photo app, can that file be deleted without losing any photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.