Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ok so I have 350GB in this iPhoto library. If it has migrated can I delete it? Or is Photos pulling from the iPhoto's library?

I have a 3TB older iMac looking to upgrade. New iMacs only have 2 TB in them.

I have an old iPhotos library of 350GB. It will not open and says it migrated to Photos already. Now, can I delete the iPhoto library? or is Photos pulling from the old iPhotos library. It's years of my kids stuff so I can't make a mistake here

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 8:03 PM

2 replies

Aug 23, 2021 1:33 AM in response to Niel

Copy your actual data files to a trusted external drive, at least two actually to be secure, then delete the files themselves on your internal drive. Or move them to some sort of Cloud storage account.

Ultimately there is only one way to increase available space on any drive ... delete data. And you just can't put 50 pounds of potatoes in a 25 pound bag.

You also need to leave something like 20% of disk space always unused. MacOS needs room to breath. Solution: more data space and that's going to mean external storage of some sort.

ok so I have 350GB in this iPhoto library. If it has migrated can I delete it? Or is Photos pulling from the iPhoto's library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.