Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If your Mac has "migrated" the iPhoto library to Photos can you delete the iPhoto library from your hard drive without losing the photos? I keep getting messages saying my disc is almost full and I have very little on it.

If your Mac has "migrated" the iPhoto library to Photos can you delete the iPhoto library from your hard drive without losing the photos? I keep getting messages saying my disc is almost full and I have very little on it.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2020 12:29 PM

Yes, if all photos from the iPhoto Library are now in your current Photos Library , you can delete the iPhoto Library from your system volume. The new Photos Library does not need it. But I would keep a backup copy of the iPhoto Library on an external volume, just in case you should later discover items, that have not been migrated correctly. You may not recover as much storage as you are expecting, when you delete the iPhoto Library The old iPhoto Library and the new Photos Library are sharing the storage for the photos that are identical in both library. You will gain some storage back, however, but probably not the full size of the iPhoto Library.

See: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 16, 2020 12:29 PM in response to sawiggins

Yes, if all photos from the iPhoto Library are now in your current Photos Library , you can delete the iPhoto Library from your system volume. The new Photos Library does not need it. But I would keep a backup copy of the iPhoto Library on an external volume, just in case you should later discover items, that have not been migrated correctly. You may not recover as much storage as you are expecting, when you delete the iPhoto Library The old iPhoto Library and the new Photos Library are sharing the storage for the photos that are identical in both library. You will gain some storage back, however, but probably not the full size of the iPhoto Library.

See: Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.