Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard Layout no solution

Hello,

my keyboard layout is off and I am unable to find a fix. it doesn't seem that the region setting is the problem. all is well, except when I hold down alt (see img attached). and I am trying for ages now to find a solution. the @ symbol is on alt + q, like on a windows system. I created a new user recently and there all was good and normal. have I been hacked? and most important: how do I fix it. its really giving me problems in my work applications, first and foremost the adobe suite. I would be immensely great full for any kind of hint to a solution.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 11:00 AM

9 replies

Jan 19, 2022 12:24 PM in response to steffen66

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jan 19, 2022 1:40 PM in response to steffen66

steffen66 wrote:
my keyboard layout is off ... all is well, except when I hold down alt

Your picture is exactly the way it is supposed to look when you hold down alt with the Input Source set to German Standard. If you don't like that one, go to system preferences > keyboard > input sources and add the input source called "German" and remove the one called "German Standard". This will put @ on Alt L

Recent Apple German keyboards will have @ printed on the Q key, older ones have it printed on the L key.

Jan 19, 2022 2:18 PM in response to steffen66

steffen66 wrote:

the only thing I have running in regards to optimising is cleanmymac x

No wonder you're having problems. CMM is what most of the experienced users on these forums consider akin to malware.

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer, school or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

Uninstall CMM according to the developer's directions.

Keyboard Layout no solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.