Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning OFF your Apple TV

While there is no switch to do this, you can always unplug it. Apple TV Support says this is good to do every now and then as when you plug it back in, it sort of resets a lot of the internal stuff. This is one thing Apple Support will instruct you to do when you are having issues with your Apple TV. So unplugging it is OK. When I am away I go to SETTINGS> and at the BOTTOM is says SLEEP NOW. And that even turns off the little white light on the box. I would think that means it is OFF with no power going to it.

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 11:35 AM

Even when it's asleep, there is some power going to it. If there weren't you couldn't use the remote to turn it on. It also wouldn't be able to update automatically. If "Sleep" meant "Off", Apple would probably have just called it "Off"/.

While turning it off and on again is a useful troubleshooting tool, you don't need to unplug it unless there's actually something wrong.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 11:35 AM in response to Per Axel

Even when it's asleep, there is some power going to it. If there weren't you couldn't use the remote to turn it on. It also wouldn't be able to update automatically. If "Sleep" meant "Off", Apple would probably have just called it "Off"/.

While turning it off and on again is a useful troubleshooting tool, you don't need to unplug it unless there's actually something wrong.

Feb 13, 2022 5:15 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I love my Apple TV box thing. But unfortunately I have had real issues with it and how Apple TV interacts with the different streaming services. Now even iTunes movies/tv shows have their own on screen settings/controls in addition to the settings you set up initially. It is a redundant OS that competes with the streaming networks own settings/controls.

Feb 16, 2022 12:21 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Then they need to have answers. As a RN

I am expected to tell you the truth. Good or bad. And frankly none of the streaming services except Netflix can help you trouble shoot problems. Did you notice that now even Apple iTunes movies watched through the Apple TV also have their own weird controls at the status bar? I am not a mind reader and I would like to know how to use or avoid them. But even Apple TV support did not know about this. So even Apple has no control over its own divisions. And that will be their downfall.

Feb 16, 2022 1:04 PM in response to Per Axel

Per Axel wrote:

Then they need to have answers. As a RN
I am expected to tell you the truth. Good or bad.

Not sure how that's related but.....

Did you notice that now even Apple iTunes movies watched through the Apple TV also have their own weird controls at the status bar?

No, I've never had that problem. But, frankly, no set of controls is especially difficult. I've yet to come across one that takes more than about 30 seconds to figure out. But, I also don't get stuck on the fact that I might have to figure something out. It's much harder to learn something new if it annoys or angers you. So, until such time as someone institutes some universal standard (don't hold your breath, I've been hoping for that in credit card readers and ATMs for decades), just relax and accept that the controls will vary. It's obvious you're a smart person. You'll get it.

Turning OFF your Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.