Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MacBook Pro running Monterey will not connect using Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. It does connect when tested on iPad Pro. Is there a Network setting or driver that the MacBook Pro needs?

What do I need to do to get this USB-C/Ethernet adapter to work on my MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 8:01 PM

I've seen another recent post about compatibility issues with Monterey and Ethernet adapters using the Realtek chipset which I think the Belkin adapter and most third party adapters use. The user in the other post confirmed the Realtek Ethernet adapter worked in Big Sur, but not Monterey. I think the system firmware during the Monterey install broke compatibility since the user also mentioned the Mac would not access Internet Recovery Mode or the online Apple Diagnostics using the Ethernet adapters utilizing the Realtek chipset. The user reported getting the adapter to work only after disabling macOS security settings so the third party Realtek driver could be used, but this is a terrible option since disabling macOS security like that can cause all sorts of problems with macOS in addition to making your Mac extremely vulnerable to being hacked -- I do not recommend it or using products that even suggest this option. Here is one innocent example of developer oversight that caused problems for Macs with Apple security disabled -- imagine if it had been intentional:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/

Try booting the Mac into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R or into the online Apple Diagnostics. With the Ethernet adapter connected to your laptop both of these should automatically begin booting to the online installer/diagnostic within a few minutes. If you are only presented with the option to select WiFi, then this confirms there is a compatibility issue with your Ethernet adapter. Since macOS is not involved in the early stage of this connection, it also shows it is a firmware issue. You can try contacting Apple support and hope you can have them escalate the issue to more senior technical advisors and engineers so that maybe Apple will provide a macOS update or firmware update to fix the issue. You can also try contacting Belkin support as they may have more clout with Apple to orchestrate a fix.

There is another not so ideal option.....you can frankenstein together two official Apple adapters to get a working Ethernet solution. Use the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter combined with an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. This is what I use to test Macs I'm repairing because every third party Ethernet adapter I have tried always has some sort of issue (not surprising they all have issues since I believe they all use the same Realtek chipset). I've only installed Monterey to one Mac so far and this combination of adapters allowed me to access the online Apple Diagnostics.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 8:01 PM in response to TPope

I've seen another recent post about compatibility issues with Monterey and Ethernet adapters using the Realtek chipset which I think the Belkin adapter and most third party adapters use. The user in the other post confirmed the Realtek Ethernet adapter worked in Big Sur, but not Monterey. I think the system firmware during the Monterey install broke compatibility since the user also mentioned the Mac would not access Internet Recovery Mode or the online Apple Diagnostics using the Ethernet adapters utilizing the Realtek chipset. The user reported getting the adapter to work only after disabling macOS security settings so the third party Realtek driver could be used, but this is a terrible option since disabling macOS security like that can cause all sorts of problems with macOS in addition to making your Mac extremely vulnerable to being hacked -- I do not recommend it or using products that even suggest this option. Here is one innocent example of developer oversight that caused problems for Macs with Apple security disabled -- imagine if it had been intentional:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/09/no-it-wasnt-a-virus-it-was-chrome-that-stopped-macs-from-booting/

Try booting the Mac into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R or into the online Apple Diagnostics. With the Ethernet adapter connected to your laptop both of these should automatically begin booting to the online installer/diagnostic within a few minutes. If you are only presented with the option to select WiFi, then this confirms there is a compatibility issue with your Ethernet adapter. Since macOS is not involved in the early stage of this connection, it also shows it is a firmware issue. You can try contacting Apple support and hope you can have them escalate the issue to more senior technical advisors and engineers so that maybe Apple will provide a macOS update or firmware update to fix the issue. You can also try contacting Belkin support as they may have more clout with Apple to orchestrate a fix.

There is another not so ideal option.....you can frankenstein together two official Apple adapters to get a working Ethernet solution. Use the Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter combined with an Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. This is what I use to test Macs I'm repairing because every third party Ethernet adapter I have tried always has some sort of issue (not surprising they all have issues since I believe they all use the same Realtek chipset). I've only installed Monterey to one Mac so far and this combination of adapters allowed me to access the online Apple Diagnostics.

Jan 20, 2022 8:39 PM in response to TPope

System preferences > network ...

under the left box, click on the Add [+] button.

add the Ethernet adapter shown, even if the name provided looks goofy, it is likely to be the right one.

Then configure and start as usual.. While you are there, use the gear icon and "set Service order" to place Ethernet at the TOP by dragging it there.

when working, the TOPMost interface will be used.

2017 MacBook Pro running Monterey will not connect using Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. It does connect when tested on iPad Pro. Is there a Network setting or driver that the MacBook Pro needs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.