Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network shares and authentication

Like many Mac users in corporate settings, I access files on what Windows users call a "Q drive"—or an X drive, or a Y drive; you get the idea, an SMB share on a server, authenticated by AD credentials orthogonal to my use of the Mac. This basic task has always been an irritation on Macs, but today I'm getting permissions errors trying to access files. I've unmounted and remounted the share; no difference. I deleted everything I could find having to do with my AD account from keychain and reauthenticated; no difference, but now when I try to do the same thing again, I can't provoke it to show my the authentication dialogue box.

My AD credentials haven't changed recently, and they haven't expired. No permissions changes. My office Mac is a 2018 Mac mini running Monterey 12.0.1.

Is there are way to tell the OS, "hey, this one network share—ditch any permissions you have and reauthenticate from scratch"?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 7:50 AM

Since about Catalina, macOS will attempt to connect with your Mac login credentials automatically. It is only after that connection fails can you try to change them. Sounds like those should be what you would use to connect to network shares, though.

Have you tried using Connect to Server (cmd-k) in Finder.

Try the form,

smb://username@Sever/share

If you've purged everything from the login keychain, there should not be any other places where it stores the credentials.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 7:50 AM in response to SHIELD616

Since about Catalina, macOS will attempt to connect with your Mac login credentials automatically. It is only after that connection fails can you try to change them. Sounds like those should be what you would use to connect to network shares, though.

Have you tried using Connect to Server (cmd-k) in Finder.

Try the form,

smb://username@Sever/share

If you've purged everything from the login keychain, there should not be any other places where it stores the credentials.

Network shares and authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.