Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I entered the wrong phone number in WhatsApp and now, it is no longer the same as the phone number on my phone

My question : 

Situation: I bought a new iPhone 13, & gave my old iPhone X Max to my husband.  I then put my old SIM in the iPhone 13 and set up his phone with a new SIM. Everything worked except….

Problem: as I was setting up two similar phones simultaneously, I stupidly used Change Number and entered the wrong number, (ie my husband’s) in Whatsapp on my new iPhone.

Now, my new iPhone 13  has the correct phone number (ie my usual number), receives SMS, calls etc correctly. The problem is that I can’t receive any WhatsApp messages on my new phone because the phone number in WhatsApp is not mine! It is that of my husband! 

He can’t use What’sApp to message me as the number associated with his WhatsApp is my number! 

I want to change that to his number (without erasing my chat history).

WhatsApp maintains in the Change Number area that one “can’t undo this change” . 

Another related problem:  Chat history: I would dearly like to keep it! (At the moment, it is intact on both phones and is backed up on iCloud)

I tried on 5 occasions to get help from WhatsApp and they never once addressed the issue at hand — just sent me extraneous information on how to change number or move groups etc. 

There is no error with my iCloud account on either of the two phones! On iCloud, my contact information is all correct — phone number, email etc.

Both phones are using iOS 15.2.

Question: 

a) Despite WhatsApp’s warning,  can I use  Change Number in WhatsApp to revert back to my correct phone number —- the same one as the phone, and the one I used to set up WhatsApp years ago? Or,

b) Should I delete the WhatsApp app and redownload it and then enter my correct phone number?

If I can’t revert WhatsApp to my previous (and present phone number), then, I can’t use WhatsApp again at all. I must have a WhatsApp that shows the same number as my phone! Or, 

c) Are there other options? 

Please help me with this problem as Apple Stores no longer offer much assistance (Covid) and WhatsApp is not really supported by Apple.

Please give me a step by step answer as I can’t cope with more problems. 

Thanking you in advance for your precious assistance (as this is poisoning my life at the moment!)

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 2:03 PM

That is a question you will need to ask WhatsApp Support. Fact is they are the ones that support their app. Apple does not provide support so no one here could say what will happen if you do something on the app.

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 8, 2022 11:53 PM in response to Mtlcl

WhatsApp support is a joke: they

merely respond with stock answers that in no way address the problem! Evidently read by computer with no human oversight.

I solved the problem myself! Ensure that the phone is on data so it can receive a code from WhatsApp. Since WhatsApp won’t let one revert back to one’s old phone number, I simply deleted the WhatsApp app on my new phone. Then,  I downloaded the app again from the App Store. I was asked to enter my number. It worked!  All my chat history is intact (& I had made sure to back it up to iCloud on my old phone). On the older phone (now my husband’s), I used Change Number (see WhatsApp Settings, Account) to enter his new number. It worked and all my chat history is there too. 

I know that WhatsApp is not supported by Apple so none of the experts on here would deign to answer my question. Had someone answered my plea for help, it would have saved me lots of stress. Good luck to everyone who has the same problem! 

I entered the wrong phone number in WhatsApp and now, it is no longer the same as the phone number on my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.