Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xbox 360 nor Xbox one controller connectivity.

Not able to connect my xbox 360 or xbox one controllers. tried wired and Bluetooth. I only show xbox 360 controller on the systems prep ferns dash but nothing doing.

Are their recommended thirparty or apple made game pads that be used with Mac thank you.

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:40 PM

Xbox 360 controller is not compatible with macOS.

Is your Xbox One controller bluetooth capable? If it has a glossy / shiny black trapezium, in which the Xbox button is contained, it is not a bluetooth capable Xbox controller.

Xbox Wireless Controller (If you would like to call it the Xbox Series X|S controller…), works great for me. Xbox One controllers (revision released with One S and later), work fine too.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2022 3:40 PM in response to Shukvp

Xbox 360 controller is not compatible with macOS.

Is your Xbox One controller bluetooth capable? If it has a glossy / shiny black trapezium, in which the Xbox button is contained, it is not a bluetooth capable Xbox controller.

Xbox Wireless Controller (If you would like to call it the Xbox Series X|S controller…), works great for me. Xbox One controllers (revision released with One S and later), work fine too.

Feb 27, 2022 6:25 PM in response to Shukvp

I’m a bit of a gamer.  Enjoy playing World of Tanks Blitz.  Found I could best control game movement using an Xbox controller.  First the Xbox 360 wired, second the Xbox One wired (Currently use Bluetooth).  To use these controllers I found I needed to add a driver to recognize the controllers, and then a mapping program for keyboard control.

For the driver, the best I found was “360Controller alpha.6” through Github.  This is offered free.

For the keymapping the best I found was “Controllers” from “Vividmachine”.   You have to purchase this program, cost is $20.00.  I have now had and used this program for several years and have received a number of upgrades for no additional cost.  But do not know if future versions might need to be repurchased.

*** Disclaimer:  To set things straight.  I have no personal interests or involvement with either of the above companies other than using their products and finding them to work well for me.

Everything worked great through Catalina 10.15.  Upon upgrading to Big Sur, I found the above driver would no longer function.  Without the driver, my iMac no longer recognized either the Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller.  

Long story short.  Through a series of fortuitous accidents I found how to connect my Xbox One controller successfully to my iMax AND have it function in controlling my game features.

Through a YouTube video I found that Xbox One controllers came in several “versions”.  One version, the plastic around the on/off button is different from the rest of the unit.  This version has difficulty in pairing with Macs.  Checking my Controller, I found this was the type I had tried pairing to my Mac.

The second version, the plastic around the on/off button is the same as the rest of the unit.  I happened to have one like this and found it PAIRED!!

The truly fortunate aspect of matters was that when the Xbox One paired, I was again in the process of trying to find a controller/Monterey workaround.  I had upgraded my Mac to Monterey thinking to set up a dual OS startup option.  For some unknown reason the program “Controllers” was open and visible on my screen.

Thus I was running Monterey, with Controllers open on screen when I experimented in pairing the Xbox One.  When it paired, I suddenly noticed Controllers was indicating it was recognizing the Xbox One!!!  After checking, I found the Xbox One controller was functioning perfecting.  All my previous mapping of controls had successfully transferred, and checking into my game, I was able to control my tanks perfectly.  JOY!!!!!

I have found “Controllers” to be very flexible in keymapping.  I do not play other games so cannot verify specifics for these games, but with the versatility that appears available, It should likely work with most games I’m aware of.

Good luck to you all and hope this helps those in need.

Xbox 360 nor Xbox one controller connectivity.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.