Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Name/Path of mounted server changed and has now a "-1" extension.

I have a VPN to my company (and also apple private relay) and regularly mount a server called "data" via "Connect to Server" and a smb protocol (smb://).

Recently, something went wrong with the connection to the server, which meant that I could not unmount the server. Also I could mount another instance of the server, both icons appearing on the desktop looking identical. So I rebooted and everything seems back to normal.

However, I now realize that the mounted server is named the usual way in the Finder (= "data"), however the name in `/Volumes` changed to `/Volumes/data-1/".

This is a problem, because I have quite a number of scripts, connecting to the server, for which I would not like to change every single path.

Is there a way to get the mounting back to normal? I suspect I have somewhere a corpse of that first server mount, which is blocking the original name.

My "/Volumes" looks like this:

Data

Macintosh HD

data-1

Your help is appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 9:20 AM

Thank you Barney-15E for you reply.

I can confirm that Data is mounted to /System/Volumes/Data on my system.

I eventually did not get to the unmount part, as I looked into the folder (sudo ls) only finding a Spotlight file. I then backed up and then tried to delete /Volumes/Data (sudo rm -r Data). This surprisingly worked (although it should have been an unmount for a volume) and fixed all the problems. System seems to run stable after a reboot and /System/Volumes/Data is also still there...

Thanks again and cheers,

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 9:20 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you Barney-15E for you reply.

I can confirm that Data is mounted to /System/Volumes/Data on my system.

I eventually did not get to the unmount part, as I looked into the folder (sudo ls) only finding a Spotlight file. I then backed up and then tried to delete /Volumes/Data (sudo rm -r Data). This surprisingly worked (although it should have been an unmount for a volume) and fixed all the problems. System seems to run stable after a reboot and /System/Volumes/Data is also still there...

Thanks again and cheers,

Jan 20, 2022 2:10 AM in response to Ma7h

more details.

It seems the APFS Volume directly from Apple is not case sensitive. So I see, why there can problems with the already existing "Data" Volume, which I believe comes from the file system.

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +994.7 GB   disk3
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume Macintosh HD            15.8 GB    disk3s1
   2:              APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 15.8 GB    disk3s1s1
   3:                APFS Volume Preboot                 357.2 MB   disk3s2
   4:                APFS Volume Recovery                847.2 MB   disk3s3
   5:                APFS Volume Data                    382.6 GB   disk3s5
   6:                APFS Volume VM                      20.5 KB    disk3s6

However, it clearly worked before. Because I am constantly using these links. So either the "Data" folder emerged out of nowhere, or the mounting incidents above create the link change..

Jan 20, 2022 6:43 AM in response to Ma7h

You should not see the Data volume in Volumes.

What is in that Data volume in /Volumes. My guess is it is the phantom mount point for your server Data volume.

Your ap disk list doesn't indicate you have two macOS Data volumes, so if it is that Data volume, I don't know why it is showing up, there. It is normally mounted to /System/Volumes/Data.

I guess if it is the macOS Data volume, open Disk Utility, select it and see what the mount point is in the info pane. If it says /Volumes, unmount it.

Name/Path of mounted server changed and has now a "-1" extension.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.