Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't boot off of an external drive.

I have a Mac with a broken Fusion drive. The HDD died. I set things up on an old 4 TB external hard drive restored from a TM backup. It was a big hassle to get the Mac to boot off it, but with some help I got it to boot. Now this drive is failing! It takes over a minute to launch an app. Even longer just to switch to another account -- literally minutes. I'm trying to move to a new 4 TB external hard drive. I installed Mojave on it, but when the install rebooted, the Mac booted off of the SSD (which has Mojave on it as left over from earlier efforts to get the first hard drive to work).

If I go into the Startup Disk panel I see the SSD and the first external hard drive. After setting up the second drive I now can't even boot off the first hard drive! The first hard drive and the SSD drive appear in the pane. I can select the HD. It says it will boot off the HD. Does it? NO. It boots off the SSD. The progress meter runs twice, so I'm guessing that it does try to boot off the HD, but fails and says, "Anh, there's this other drive. Let's try that one." Just a guess. But the 2nd HD doesn't appear in the panel at all. I tried booting with Cmd-R and Opt and tried various things there -- all to no avail.

How can I get the Mac to boot off the second hard drive? Why won't it recognize it?

I was running Mojave on a late-2014 iMac with a 3TB Fusion drive. I'd like to get back to a working Mojave system so that I can finish my video format conversions (yeah, I've been procrastinating a bit on them!). I can't do the conversions on a newer OS. I need Mojave. Can anyone please help?

I'm presently running off the SSD. I used Migration A. to move the apps over. So I'm not totally dead. But it would probably much easier overall if I can just get the machine to boot from that 2nd HDD.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 12:13 AM

Well, here's what happened. I need to physically disconnect both my Lacie and OWC drives and Opt-boot to get the above display. Other drives plugged in don't matter. Also, without Option during the boot, it boots off the Untitled drive (internal SSD that was part of the original Fusion disk, whose HDD died), which I don't want. Why those two drives mess it up, I don't know. Why I have to Option boot, IDK. For some reason the "Untitled" is the default one, even if both come up. Also, I tried setting the Startup Drive in Sys Prefs. Worked, but only once! It then went back to both disks being light and neither selected.

Tip: How to tell which is your startup drive: Open Finder. Click iMac or whatever your machine is called. You should get a list of your volumes. Add the Kind header and column. (Right-click an existing header and check Kind on the pop-up menu.) And viola`! It will tell you which is the startup drive!

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 12:13 AM in response to betaneptune

Well, here's what happened. I need to physically disconnect both my Lacie and OWC drives and Opt-boot to get the above display. Other drives plugged in don't matter. Also, without Option during the boot, it boots off the Untitled drive (internal SSD that was part of the original Fusion disk, whose HDD died), which I don't want. Why those two drives mess it up, I don't know. Why I have to Option boot, IDK. For some reason the "Untitled" is the default one, even if both come up. Also, I tried setting the Startup Drive in Sys Prefs. Worked, but only once! It then went back to both disks being light and neither selected.

Tip: How to tell which is your startup drive: Open Finder. Click iMac or whatever your machine is called. You should get a list of your volumes. Add the Kind header and column. (Right-click an existing header and check Kind on the pop-up menu.) And viola`! It will tell you which is the startup drive!

Feb 17, 2022 4:49 AM in response to betaneptune

Just rebooted. Got only the tiny internal drive "Untitled". Did a complete shutdown. Then Option-booted. Still only the internal drive. Shut down. Disconnected my backup drives. Option-booted -- then it worked! Got my external boot drive. See photo below. Note: auto-exposure overexposes. I turned it down a tisk. Much better. So it appears to be the backup drives that are messing things up. Next time I'll disconnect them and then do a regular reboot.

Jan 20, 2022 1:26 PM in response to betaneptune

Your whole process seems more complicated than it has to be. First I would never use a mechanical external drive to run from, much too slow. Get an SSD, format and then start in recovery mode, install the OS using your TM backup. Normally I would say to clone your internal drive but since you stated that the HD has failed that will not work.

Jan 20, 2022 3:04 PM in response to tbirdvet

I finally got it to work! Turned out the new external drive (Macintosh HD2) didn't have a full Mojave installation on it. So I erased it and called it Macintosh HD2. At some point I disconnected everything else possible, even the printer! Tried running the .dmg on HD2 manually twice. Gave up. Did a reboot with Cmd-R. Let go of the Cmd-R early due to changing my mind. Then when it came up, it started installing Mojave on the 2nd external drive, Macintosh HD2! When it was done I used Migration Assistant to move files from the old external HD, Macintosh HD, to the new one. (I initially tried my TM backup, as it's on a healthier drive, but it came up with only a backup of the SSD drive. So I thought I would try the HD drive first. [It has backups of HD, but not in the latest folder. Would have to experiment with alias Latest. Also, a recent TM restore from that drive put files on the old HD missed all the files in the Pictures folder and messed up the music files.] So I chose to go with the old external drive, HD, thinking it could die at any time and I would thereby lose an option.) Took 13 hours, but it worked! Had to go through some set-up. But now I have a working system without having to wait for an SSD to be delivered. The old drive was really slow, but the migration completed anyway.

Sure, buy an SSD. I keep hearing that as if they were cheap. NEWS FLASH: They're not!

OWC has a 4TB SSD for $929. Crucial has one for half that. Why?! What benefit would there be to the OWC one? I like OWC, but what's with the price?

Anyway, I can now finish my video format conversions, reduce the size of my boot drive by offloading the videos, and move to a new Mac and also get an external SSD for the videos.

Yes, the internal HD had completely failed. Erasing it would come up with a problem accessing the last block. The senior tech agreed: it was a goner. The SSD worked fine though!

I tried the DeviceDX program someone here recommended. It said the SSD was at 14% of its rewrite life! It also said the old drive was just fine. I ran the short self-test on the old drive (HD) and it got up to 90% and hung there. I waited 15 or 20 minutes or so and then aborted it. The app then said the test completed successfully! My last run of EtreCheck said the drive (HD, the boot drive at the time) was really slow and might fail at any time.

Now things are working pretty well. I'm not sure if there really was much benefit from the SSD of the Fusion drive.

Anyway, I'm not dead in the water anymore! I have to set up backups again, but need to be careful to inherit things right!

Feb 4, 2022 9:54 AM in response to tbirdvet

It appears that either powering down or disconnecting all other drives does the trick. Anyway, I finally have a working system using the new external 4TB SSD drive. Now to finishe the last few video format conversions (the least important ones) and offload enough movies to make it fit on a 1TB drive on a new M1 Mac. (512 GB seems a little cramped, and 2 TB is way too expensive and not big enough anyway!)

Mar 4, 2022 5:26 AM in response to Matti Haveri

It might have. I know the NVRAM has startup disk information. I tried it at one point but I don't think it made any difference. Even if it did, I can't be resetting it every time I boot!

I just need to disconnect those two disks and boot with the Option key. I suppose I could set the startup disk in sys prefs whenever I need to reboot. That should avoid the need to Option boot. But I still have to physically disconnect those disks.

Whenever I check the sys prefs startup disk page it is always not set to any disk. The two bootable disks are there, but neither is highlighted. I've never seen it do any good with the 2 "rogue" HDD disks connected.

Well, I've cleaned up my startup disk. If I move my Movies to my 2TB SSD drive, and empty the trash, what's left should easily fit on a 1TB drive in a new imac. In fact, I calculate 364 GB. So 1 TB is probably fine. I don't want to pay another $400 for an additional TB on the internal drive!

Can't boot off of an external drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.